specialty grain substitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oze152

Reaction score
I am a new brewer and have very limited experience with specialty grains. I am looking at a few different recipes that I want to brew over the next month and each calls for crystal malt but at different color/flavor intensity. Can I buy bulk 40L crystal, which seems to be most common in the recipes I have seen thus far, and then increase or decrease the amount I use rather than buying a little of each 10L, 40L, 60L? How would I calculate the adjustment?

oze152 said:
I am a new brewer and have very limited experience with specialty grains. I am looking at a few different recipes that I want to brew over the next month and each calls for crystal malt but at different color/flavor intensity. Can I buy bulk 40L crystal, which seems to be most common in the recipes I have seen thus far, and then increase or decrease the amount I use rather than buying a little of each 10L, 40L, 60L? How would I calculate the adjustment?

Heads up! The different L ratings translate into differences in flavor, as well. If you sub C40 for C10, the color will be darker but you'll have a bit more caramel also. C60 OTOH starts to move towards a raisin flavor that's absent from C40. If you're really into a specific outcome, it's necessary to match the right crystal grain.

The grains are different, even though they are made in the same way.

As an analogy, think of "crystal malt" in brewing as "spices" in cooking. If you're a cook, you know that you sometimes can substitute basil for oregano with good results but not always and you will never get the same results. That's why they sell basil, oregano, rosemary and thyme in separate jars instead of all together as "seasoning". They are similar, you may use similar amounts, and sometimes you can sub one for another if you have to. But it's never going to work out for all recipes.

The same is true of brewing. A pound of 40L subbed for a pound of 60L might not be a huge difference, although it will be different. But a pound of 20L will ever be like a pound of 80L. They are totally different- like subbing salt for pepper in cooking.

Thanks everyone, I am thinking I will just get a few pounds of each and invest in a few more air tight containers to store them in. I seem to be going through a lot of crystal malt, mainly 40L, but I would rather use the right ingredient. :)

Back