Specialty grain steep question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhillyMike

Reaction score
This is my first attempt to use specialty grains with an extract kit. I know HOW to steep, that is not my question.

The specialty grains came in a bag pre-cracked. In the bag is some quaff (tiny bits that resemble powder, in a sense). When I add the grains to the mesh bag, I'm sure that quaff will simply fall out of the bag.

How does one handle this particulate matter? Should I pour the grains in the mesh bag over my brew kettle or should I simply ignore the quaff? On one hand I am thinking that the quaff has some flavors that would be extracted during the steep; however, since quaff will not be removed after the steep, I don't want any bitterness to come through once my temp goes over 170 degrees.

Thoughts?

^agreed.

You won't extract tannins (astringent/bitter/harshness) from that powder. Tannin extraction comes mainly from the husks. You'll be fine.

...and tannin extraction comes from very high temperatures, not crush.

Also, OP, I think you are looking for "chaff". "Quaff" is a verb, meaning "to drink". ;)

Relax, you're fine. This will indeed settle out as fermentation happens.

Whatever you do, don't quaff the chaff. That could chafe.

One more vote for don't worry about it. You're going to get junk floating in your beer, this will just be a little more. It'll settle out.

I wouldn't sweat tannins too much either. For my first brew, I just dumped the steeping grains into the pot and then fished them out with a strainer when it reached 170°F. I'm sure I didn't get every last husk out, and there was no sign of unpleasantness. So it's not like having a few husks in there at 175°F is going to ruin your beer instantly.

To all,

Thanks for reply. And being that I was half asleep on the train typing that message, I will try to remember its "quaff", not "chaff".

lmao, atleast you caught it... before the trolls get to you... they like fresh blood ;)
but im with everyone else on this. dont fear the "powder"... wait. what are we talking about now?

Back