Specialty Grain Small Batch Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jferguson78

Reaction score
Hi - I want to set up a small batch experiment but wanted to reach out for some feedback on the idea first.

Background: I have a citra IPA recipe that I've made a few times with great success...but I think it could be improved upon. I think possibly playing around with the grain bill is the way I want to go.

So here's my idea for an experiment:

I'd like to brew the batch using just the base malt and hops and then divide it up into gallon fermenters. Then to each one I'd add some additional wort from various specialty grains that were steeped separately. Then I would ferment them all with the same yeast in identical conditions.

Would this work or will I be changing the flavor too dramatically by not boiling the specialty grain wort? I think this could have an impact on my hop utilization, but it seems that that would be negligible based on the volume.

Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Jesse

What you want can be done, but not the way you describe.
Do one large batch, and several small batches small pots on the stove.

Each small batch will need some base malt to convert the specialty grains, as not all specialty can convert on their own.
I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will reply with the proper ratios.

3.5g batch on main pot with the hops you want.
.5g batch in several smaller pots, do biab for simplicity.
Find the right amount of base to intended specialty.
You WILL have to boil the specialty small pots, but not for 60 minutes. Id probably do 20 to sterilize the wort.
Most difficult part will probably getting boil off rates for the smaller pots and matching the intended OG and volume.

Edit: just saw it's an ipa. You may have to split your hops up and put some in various pots if you're aiming for high ibu, as there's a max ibu of 100 and any more added to the 3.5 will be pointless for bittering. Off the top of my head, if your goal is under 75ibu you should be okay.

I would brew a SMASH beer, ferment it.

Steep some specialty grains, cool the tea to serving temperature, then after you pour a half-glass of the SMASH, add the specialty teas to the SMASH to taste.

While this isn't going to be "perfect" as an experiment, it would be lots less work and will give you a very good idea of what you're looking for. Then, brew a batch with the specialty grain mix you like, and adjust the recipe to perfection.

Latest posts

Back