Spaten Optimator Ale From Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostBavarianMan

Reaction score
Ok I have been looking all over the internet for a Spaten Optimator Ale Recipe from extract. But I have had no luck. So I found an All grain Recipe and tried my hand at converting it. But I dont think its right.
here is the all grain recipe.

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 22.2 %
8.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 63.0 %
1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 11.1 %
0.50 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3.7 %
1.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80%] (60 min) Hops 20.9 IBU
1 Pkgs German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.079 SG (1.072-1.120 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.070 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.019 SG (1.018-1.030 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Color: 20.8 SRM (6.0-25.0 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 20.9 IBU (16.0-30.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 1.4 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 7.9 % (7.0-12.0 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 7.2 %

And here is what I was able to come up with using Beer Tools Pro Please advise.

Original Gravity: 1.081
Terminal Gravity: 1.020
ABV 8.04%
Ingredients:
3.0 lb Dry Light
7.0 lb Pale Liquid
1.5 lb Caramel Malt 120L
.5 lb Victory® Malt
1.5 oz Hallertau (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
1.0 ea White Labs WLP029 German Ale/Kölsch

Please let me know if you think this is going to work out. I am showing a higher OG and FG and a higher ABV I am brewing this Sunday so I am really wanting to make this Please advise what you would change if anything.

Based on the recipe you posted, that seems right. You could, of course, do the same OG but just with DME instead of the combination of both (I don't really see the point of combining the two). Shouldn't optimator have some munich in it? Maybe someone with a little more experience in that neck of the woods can jump in here.

I would have thought the same thing however that is the recipe I was able to find. Was hoping for more input on this like I said I am brewing tomorrow and need to get my supplies today after work.

Spaten Optimator is a doppel bock.

Tess and Mark Szamatulski's "Clone Brew" Aysinger Celebrator dobblebock clone extract receipe. I haven't brewed yet but plan too.

5 gallons

OG 1.082-83
FG 1.022-23
IBU 24
SRM 44-46
ABV 7.6%

30 minute steep in one gallon 150deg
12 oz dark german malt
8 oz Dark german crystal malt
5 oz British chocolate malt
1 gallon 150deg sparge

8.8lb wayerman bavarian pirlsner malt
1.5lb Muntons light DME
8 oz Maltodextrin
3/4 oz Northern Brewer 2 8% AA 6 HBU
1/2 oz German Hallertau Hersbrucker @ 4% AA(2HBU)

add gallon boil 45 min

add 1/4 oz German Hallertau Hersbrucker
add 1 tsp irish moss

Boil 15 min

wyeast 2308 Munich Lager yeast 42-52degF

2nd choice Wyeast 2124 bohemian Lager 42-52deg F

prime with 1 1/4 DME muntuns wheat 2 cups h20

Need yeast starter becuse high OG.

Better if aged 6 months.

NB has a doppelbock kit. Suggest secondary and Yeast starter.

sorry if too much info

no great but since I dont have the ability of lagering as of yet I want to try it as a Ale.
A mock Bock if you will.

Doppel Bocks were originally ales. The 2 mentioned are knock-offs of the original "Paulaner Salvator Doppel Bock" Made by certain monks in Germany since the 1350's if I remember right. It's still brewed as an ale. The story is on germanbeerinstitute.com. Cool story,all true beer history.
I buy the Salvator Doppel Bock at Giant Eagle grocery chain. They have the Paulaner Hefeweitzen too. 11.2oz REUSABLE bottles that have a raised bust of bearded monks around the shoulder of the bottle. Is that cool or what?
Also,I think bittering with Haulertau is the way to go. I can tell by the bite of the original's flavor profile.

Cool so brewing it as a an ale is the right way to go .OUTSTADING. I am brewing this up tomorrow and im going to let it sit for a full 4 weeks in the primary just so I can get all out of it that I can. LOL. I need to stop buying Spaten Optimator I really like that beer such cool creamy goodness truly the nectar of the gods. And Union thanks for the link. Ill read it when I get home tonight. from the LHBS.

Cool so brewing it as a an ale is the right way to go .OUTSTADING. I am brewing this up tomorrow and im going to let it sit for a full 4 weeks in the primary just so I can get all out of it that I can. LOL. I need to stop buying Spaten Optimator I really like that beer such cool creamy goodness truly the nectar of the gods. And Union thanks for the link. Ill read it when I get home tonight. from the LHBS.

Your welcome! I just had to pass that on,so peeps can work at taking the doppel bocks back to their roots where they truly belong. Try the Salvator sometime. It starts off creamy smooth,then the hop bitterness tingles your tongue at the end. Plus you get some really cool bottles to put your own in.
The story is the history of German brewing,so you'll have to do some reading to get to that part. Great read,though. They also discuss every style separately as well.

Read this site all the way thru. Very informative. I really liked the part about the ALES.
I like to think that my latest comes out really close. Thanks for the direction to this site.
+1

I thought it was a great read myself. Picking through the historical stuff for hints at style was fun. I hoped that would help you dial in your latest effort. I'd love to know how it turns out.:mug:

Back