Sparkling Wine Pressure Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irithind

Reaction score
I have never actually tried making sparkling wine but was always interested. Is it possible to make it using a pressure chamber of sorts? By that, I mean a container that is strong enough to withstand higher pressures with a safety valve in case it gets too pressurized. For the secondary fermentation, of course.
I don't particularly want to deal with a more traditional method, as I don't know if I will have the time or, in fact, the skill to do the freeze-clarifying stuff.

I fermented an elderflower sparkling wine in a bucket first then racked into a 30 litre key keg. I then spunded nhisup to 35 psi to get about 4 vols. Fined it in the keg and then counter pressure bottled it. Worked very well.

Ok, I think I may be way too newbie to get all of that tbh. I mean... I got the just, but could you explain the process a bit more accessibly to somebody who doesn't know too much?

The "pressure chamber" you speak of is called a keg. They can be used to carbonate any beverage including wine. They are an investment however, you need the keg and a CO2 tank and some plumbing to make it all work. There's a separate sub forum in the beer section where people discuss kegs.

Otherwise, wine can be carbonated in the bottle with a process called bottle conditioning. Basically you add a controlled amount of fermentable sugar to a capped bottle (think beer or champagne) and it will ferment and create CO2. The down side to that is that you can't stabilize and back sweeten your wine first.

I know the basics of the traditional method but I just can't really deal with clarifying it by freezing the yeast out. I also don't want to add the CO2 artificially. I'm wondering about the possibility of fermenting the wine that way in a container. I was originally thinking of something akin to the Charmat method. I checked the methods again to brush up on the names and realized that the Transfer method sounds almost exactly like what I'd want. How would I go about doing that with a keg?

If you want "natural" carbonation then conceptually it's the same as bottle conditioning albeit a bigger bottle, so to speak. Of course, just like a smaller bottle, the container needs to be something that can handle the pressure.

Thank you! I will try it whenever I get a chance.
Also: I do realize "natural" means absolutely nothing, it's kinda more about the satisfaction of making it myself, I guess? I'm kinda weird, just wanna have control over most stuff and make it fully myself, even if it would be easier otherwise.

just wanna have control
Use whatever method works best for you, of course. I have to say that using CO2 to carbonate my beers has given me much greater control over the level of carbonation than adding priming malt/sugar at bottling ever did. But they both usually work fine.

Yeah, it just kinda feels like cheating. I feel like it wouldn't be as satisfying that way.

Latest posts

Back