Sparkling Wine Methode Champenoise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTexBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I just finished a fun project and wanted to share my method from start to finish.

My wife enjoys prosecco which she often mixes with juices for a refreshing drink. I decided that I would try to make some sparkling wine and riddle and disgorge the yeast as well.

I used a 1 gallon World Vineyard Moscato Wine kit. Below are the steps that I took and modifications made to make the sparkling wine.

February 1
Added Juice and F-Pack to a fermentation bucket. Added enough water to get a starting gravity of 1.078. I used 1 package of EC-1118 instead of the yeast provided with the kit.

February 17
Added a 1/4 of a Campden Tablet and Isinglass

February 29
Racked the wine to a bottling bucket and added 2.25oz of Dextrose and 1 package of EC-1118. I had enough wine to bottle 5 750ml bottles and a small swing top bottle.

The 750ml bottles were prosecco bottles that I had saved. I capped the bottles which required the larger european caps.

I then laid the bottles on their side and let them re-ferment for 2 months.

After 2 months, I chilled and opened the small swing top bottle. The wine was carbonated so I turned the 5 champagne bottles upside down (cap end down). For about a week, I would daily swirl the bottles to help the yeast to settle to the neck of the bottle.

May 20
I moved the still upside bottles of sparkling wine to the refrigerator and let them chill to settle as much yeast out as possible.

May 29
The fun part. I'm in Texas and we can buy 190 proof alcohol, I'm sure 151 proof alcohol would also work. Also, picked up some dry ice from the grocery store. In a small container we mixed some of the grain alcohol and chopped up dry ice. This worked perfect to freeze the yeast plug in a couple of minutes. We then used a bottle opener to pop the cap off and then the pressure would shoot the yeast plug. With some bottles the plug and wine were a little too frozen and nothing would happen for a few seconds until things thawed a little bit. Also sometimes some frozen yeast sediment would remain in the neck of the bottle. We would just pick this out with a small spoon. I topped off the bottle with some fresh store bought Moscato wine using a syringe and pouring the wine along the side of the bottle to not cause loss of CO2. Then used plastic champagne corks and wire cages.

June 4
Today we popped our first bottle to try and things taste pretty good. My wife is happy so I consider it to be a complete success.

http://www.brewerylane.com/wine/sparkling-wine-champagne-method.html
This is article that I used to help me do this project.

I primarily brew beer so with my knowledge learned I'll apply this to making a Methode Champenoise beer similar to the Belgian beer Deus.

IMG_5821.jpg

IMG_5822.jpg

IMG_5836.jpg

IMG_5848.jpg

IMG_5852.jpg

Just wanted to say, great job! I tried my first shot at it, and I did well, expect for adding back sweentened wine - I just used a funnel, and it shot everywhere. The syringe is a great idea! Got a link or a photo of what you use?

What other techniques did you use to minimize carbonation loss? That was my biggest issue...is now they are kinda flat....

Thanks!

Here is a picture of me adding the wine to the bottle with the syringe. You can usually fine syringes at drug stores and I'm sure Amazon sells them. My wife is a veterinarian so I have easy access to them.

The key is to make sure you have everything cold, the champagne bottle and the top-off wine. We never had any eruption of bubbles.

I have read that they intentionally over carbonate the champagne so that during the disgorging process you will lose some carbonation but still retain enough for good final carbonation.

IMG_5828.jpg

Good tips! I hadn't intended to disgorge that batch, so next time, I'll start with that in mind, and add a bit more sugar to account for loss. Plus, syringe is good too. thanks for the tips!

Very cool! Good like on the Deus clone.

I'm thinking of doing a Deus clone for my Xmas beer this year. I usually do a special beer to give to friends and family and making a deus clone would be a fun project. Figure I can brew it over the summer and let them sit until November, disgorge and be ready for xmas

Im curious how the primary fermentation went? I had the same idea as you but with a 6 gallon kit. I split the kit in half and the side with the F pack has not started fermenting yet while the non F pack side is fermenting very nicely. Did you notice a slowness in the process?

Im curious how the primary fermentation went? I had the same idea as you but with a 6 gallon kit. I split the kit in half and the side with the F pack has not started fermenting yet while the non F pack side is fermenting very nicely. Did you notice a slowness in the process?

I did not notice any slowness. i just bottled a second batch yesterday following the procedure I did for my first batch.

Are they in the same area. Is it possible one is cooler than the other. I guess checking with a hydrometer will telll you if one is fermenting slower than the other.

I just checked them again and the sparkling has started bubbling also.

But for reference. they were placed in the same area side by side. same starting temperature and same temperature at the time of checking. The only difference was the addition of the F pack and also used 1 yeast packet for each fermenter. (same time of yeast)

Decided not to do a SG test at the time since there are now signs of fermentation

I'm pretty sure the F-pack is concentrated must that adds a little sweetness if you are making a wine. I wonder if the increased sugars from the F-pack just slowed the start of the fermentation.

Hey, I'm thinking of doing it your way with the Dry Ice and Everclear. Now my question - when you froze the neck, did you pop the cap with the bottle standing up, or upside down? Last time I did this, it was with the bottle in my hands (neck frozen) and popped the cap, and then closed it with my thumb quickly. This ejected all the yeast...but also some wine and carbonation... Let me know what you did!

Hey, I'm thinking of doing it your way with the Dry Ice and Everclear. Now my question - when you froze the neck, did you pop the cap with the bottle standing up, or upside down? Last time I did this, it was with the bottle in my hands (neck frozen) and popped the cap, and then closed it with my thumb quickly. This ejected all the yeast...but also some wine and carbonation... Let me know what you did!

We held the bottle at approximately 45 degree angle with the opening pointed up. As soon as the plug ejected we put our thumb over the bottle and turned it 90 degrees upright. Some lost more than others. We just used a syringe with chilled wine to top off the bottles before corking.

Wow! Incredible! I have a question. May be stupid but I’m a total ignorant in this. When yeast is shoot off the bottle, don’t you have also some wort/champagne/liquid loss? Is that the reason why you need to top off the bottle? Is it a considerable loss?

Wow! Incredible! I have a question. May be stupid but I’m a total ignorant in this. When yeast is shoot off the bottle, don’t you have also some wort/champagne/liquid loss? Is that the reason why you need to top off the bottle? Is it a considerable loss?

Yes, there is some liquid loss. Sometimes everything goes great and you have little loss. Other times... That is the reason for top off.

Back