sparging too fast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nchomebrew

Reaction score
well, i've been experimenting with two different types of sparging in order to increase my efficiency. i first did the standard batch sparge, then mash out and batch sparge, and then tried kind of a home made fly sparge (hand sprinkle method through a collander) i just read a thread about fly sparging too quickly will reduce your efficency. when i did the hand fly sparge through a collander, it definitely didn't take a half an hour, and my efficency still sucked. so i'm thinking i may be rinsing the grains too quickly. my question is. even with slowing down the sparge will the hand sparge method still increase my efficiency?
i know there are many other factors to take into consideration, but would like to eliminate the sparge technique as one of them if i could.
btw, i use a rectangular metal jacketed coleman cooler w/cpvc tube with holes drilled in it.

if your efficiency is below 70% i'd check your grind and your temps. Are you preheating sparge water to 185? I was sparging with 170 forgetting that temp will drop when sparging then read about preheating to 180 and my batch sparge efficiency went up 5-10%. Fly sparging 5 gallons (about 10lbs of grain) should take maybe 30 mins. The hand sprinkle method may result in some temp loss, too. look at your temps and if you're getting a lhbs grind maybe think about that.

My sparge is a minimum of 45 minutes with about 180 degree water. I have a closed system so the water never see any open air. I usually get 82-85% efficiency I know it seems like a long sparge but it works for me and the most important part it is Repeatable.

yeah, i've tried only preheating to 170, and also to 185. but probably not a combination of slowing the drain/sparge down and preheating to 185. think i'll try that next time.
thanks for the info

Back