Sparge Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hypergolic

Reaction score
I am going to brew Gordon Strong's NE IPA from the latest issue of BYO. He says to mash with 5 gallons of water, then fly sparge until 6.5 gallons is collected. I batch sparge, should I make any adjustments? Thanks!

How big is the grain bill, what is your normal pre-boil volume target, and what is your normal MLT volume loss (not including grain absorption.)?

Brew on :mug:

It really depends on your boil off rate. I need 7.3 gallons, preboil, to end up with a little over 5 gallons into the fermenter.

Kettle dimensions, heat, ambient temperature, humidity and altitude are factors that change your boil off rate

I am going to brew Gordon Strong's NE IPA from the latest issue of BYO. He says to mash with 5 gallons of water, then fly sparge until 6.5 gallons is collected. I batch sparge, should I make any adjustments? Thanks!

I think you need to mash with 5.132758 gallons of water to make this turn out right. :eek::rolleyes:

Not really. Mash volume is not real critical. Mash temp is. When the mash is done and you drain the tun you will be able to measure the runoff. From that you can determine the amount of water for the batch sparge. If you have a big enough mash tun you can mash with 6 gallons if you want.

Mash with whatever ratio you like. Sparge with enough to get your boil volume.

Back