Sparge device question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dstar and bru can you post some pics of your plumbing and sparge device on this thread i would be interested in seeing them. i am taking my stand to get powder coated today!!! so i am really close to being finished. i also am using a false bottom that is hinged. this has been some great discussion. thanks

FYI - I've brewed over 40 batches on my current system (in one form or another) and am still learning to do it more efficiently obviously.
The pic I posted earlier (post #31) shows the plumbing best. Boil Kettle on left (out of view), HLT on right, MLT top center and the Grant is in the center. The pic is showing sparging. Right pump is pulling from the HLT and feeding the sparge/recirc manifold. Left pump is emptying the grant and pumping to the Boil Kettle. During recirc, the outlet hose of the pump on the left is hooked to the sparge/recirc manifold.
Here's the MLT empty:

These sparge devices must have cost between $10 and $20 to build. There was a thread about silicone tubing on Ebay for dirt cheap. About two feet would have done it. I don't understand.

At this point I can't post pics but I that will change soon.
In the mean time - for recirc and fly sparging I use a 1/2" T-peice that goes through the lid of my MLT (QD ontop). The wort/sparge water gets pumped through the T-peice which I can lower or raise, depending on the size of the mash, using sockets so that it sits at the right height above the grain bed. I originally used two peices of silicone - one on each side of the T-peice but it was splashing over the sides of the MLT so I removed it.
At the bottom of the MLT I have a copper pipe manifold with slits cut into it. At some stage Im going to upgrade to a 25gallon pot MLT with an FB but in the mean time this set up works perfectly.

dstar and bru can you post some pics of your plumbing and sparge device on this thread i would be interested in seeing them. i am taking my stand to get powder coated today!!! so i am really close to being finished. i also am using a false bottom that is hinged. this has been some great discussion. thanks

Back