South Jersey/Philly Group Buy... ROUND 11!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OLDBREW, im not sure why they did it but i'll start round 12 back in AG and see what happens.

Received the last 2 payments today! Once checks clear, i'll order and let everyone know.

I feel like the buys would be better served in this forum anyway. The All-grain subforum is more about processes, techniques, troubleshooting, tips, equipment advice/setups etc. The groups are buying ingredients, which is half the name of this subforum :)

pretty amazing that in one year we have ordered over 25,000 pounds of grain; props to all the PA/NJ brewers involved in these group buys

also, a special thanks to Jeff for organizing and coordinating payments :mug:

I feel like the buys would be better served in this forum anyway. The All-grain subforum is more about processes, techniques, troubleshooting, tips, equipment advice/setups etc. The groups are buying ingredients, which is half the name of this subforum :)

this forum is basically for recipes and questions on ingredients, ie., what does this ingredient do in a recipe?

All Grain Brewing section is about brewing with malts and grains as the backbone of the process using mashing techniques to convert starches to sugars. What better place is there to hold the group bulk grain buys then the all grain brewing section.

The original buys from NYC, North NJ, CT., all started there 1 1/2 years ago, then the SJ/PHILLY/DE. was put there. There is another group buy going on over there from NC now.
The bulk hop buys, and Lancaster pa. grain buys are still there. Why is this the only one to get moved after all this time?? A lot of brewers were directed there since the beginning and check there

pretty amazing that in one year we have ordered over 25,000 pounds of grain; props to all the PA/NJ brewers involved in these group buys

also, a special thanks to Jeff for organizing and coordinating payments :mug:

here..here :mug:

I had told Jeff there were a ton of brewers in the Philly/SJ area.. never thought the New York/CT. buys would stall, and those brewers would latch onto these buys though!

Jeff has really pushed these orders through with high efficiency, even with all the obstacles.. He even received, then moved a pallet order over to his work place from the Pennsauken drop off because of in-climate weather. He did have great help from another local brewer/tile man, and his side kick in moving 2200 lb's! Props to those two guys also! :mug:

Let's just hope we can keep this going, because you can't beat these prices, and with these splits going on, the specialty grains are also becoming available at next to nothing prices.

Yes, this double-order is full already. Round 12 is starting up as soon as this one is delivered though. So keep an eye out for it.

Round 11 is finalized, I guess?

VonMessa,

I always post in the previous thread right before I start another group buy. Since you've posted in this thread, you'll be subscribed and will receive an email when I post the info.

Currently I'm waiting on some payments to clear and then setting up delivery. I'm guessing round 12 will be started in 2 weeks?

Keep an eye out!

Jeff

Also, I understand that no hops were purchased this round, but are they ever? I'd be willing to buy a few pounds.

Same goes for chemicals, etc (Star San, PBW)

My brew ma-chine could use a good cleaning and the local HBS is quite pricey with just about everything.

The reason i don't order hops is because the pricing in the sales book is not accurate for hops. The hops are $20+ per pound. Hopsdirect.com is where you want to go if you need bulk hops.

Glad I get email reminders or I would have never known it was moved here.:) Sooo glad for these group buys. Can't imagine when we get to our 100th group buy.

VonMessa, I see you finally found the correct page! :D Ty5592 on here, is your brewing neighbor and was trying to contact you. Hope you hooked up with him? Maybe he may be able to help you with some base grain until yours gets in?

Anyway...

Anyone else in on this buy brewing belgian style brews (dubbels/darks) interested in quarts of the D2 belgian candi syrup at right around 3 pounds in a quart?

D2 Belgian Candi Syrup - This syrup’s flavor is a mix of burnt sugar, figs, ripe fruit, toffee and dark chocolate. Highly fermentable.
syrup will contribute 1.032 PPG. 80 SRM Suggested usage rate is up to 1 cup per 5 gallons.

very good deal

Man, OLDBREW, you are quite the salesman. You've got me thinking about another quart. LOL - just kidding. I don't know what I am going to use the first one for yet.

Come to the Belgians Dark Strong Ale side Luke. Check out books like "Brew like a Monk" or "Beer Captured", then convert the syrup with some of those recipes to get you started.
Westmalle Trappist Dubbel, Westvleteren ABT 12*, Chimay Grand Reserve, Petrus Oud Bruin,Trois Pistoles, just to name a few

http://www.amazon.com/dp/093738187X/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0970344252/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Did I mention... I will sell you the "Ben Franklin Bridge" if you are interested? :D Oh wait.. I forgot, that belongs to NORCROSS...

Last edited by a moderator:
Come to the Belgians Dark Strong Ale side Luke. Check out books like "Brew like a Monk" or "Beer Captured", then convert the syrup with some of those recipes to get you started.
Westmalle Trappist Dubbel, Westvleteren ABT 12*, Chimay Grand Reserve, Petrus Oud Bruin,Trois Pistoles, just to name a few

http://www.amazon.com/dp/093738187X/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0970344252/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Did I mention... I will sell you the "Ben Franklin Bridge" if you are interested? :D Oh wait.. I forgot, that belongs to NORCROSS...

OK I'm interested. I want to make a trapist style ale. what do you recommend?

Last edited by a moderator:
VonMessa, I see you finally found the correct page! :D Ty5592 on here, is your brewing neighbor and was trying to contact you. Hope you hooked up with him? Maybe he may be able to help you with some base grain until yours gets in?

Anyway...

Anyone else in on this buy brewing belgian style brews (dubbels/darks) interested in quarts of the D2 belgian candi syrup at right around 3 pounds in a quart?

D2 Belgian Candi Syrup - This syrup’s flavor is a mix of burnt sugar, figs, ripe fruit, toffee and dark chocolate. Highly fermentable.
syrup will contribute 1.032 PPG. 80 SRM Suggested usage rate is up to 1 cup per 5 gallons.

very good deal

Yes, my box was full.

I'll go in on on the syrup if it is in the next buy.

I'm also interested in rice hulls if they are on the list. I brew with wheat a lot.

I should have an update today about a scheduled delivery date. I'll post as soon as I hear back.

OK I'm interested. I want to make a Trappist style ale. what do you recommend?

If you do a dubbel it will be ready sooner then if you go big on the dark strong ale side.

I recommend starting with adding a half cup or so toward the end of the boil when doing a dubbel, then tasting for flavor and eying the color. You can also mix table sugar with the recipes along with this syrup.

pils, aromatic, munich, special b, home toasted pale malt, all work

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_styledetails.cfm?ID=186

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_styledetails.cfm?ID=189

Dschuetz,

I penciled you in for the 2 quarts you asked for Sir!

Anyone else in on this buy brewing belgian style brews (dubbels/darks) interested in quarts of the real deal D2 belgian candi syrup at right around 3 pounds in a quart?

very good deal

Anyone else in on this buy brewing belgian style brews (dubbels/darks) interested in quarts of the real deal D2 belgian candi syrup at right around 3 pounds in a quart?

very good deal

OLDBREW is right, I have tried. While you can make a nice syrup... its nothing like D1, D2, or D3.

I know OLDBREW has suggested going with 1/4 cup in the boil and then tasting but I was wondering about adding it at High Krausen. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that adding anything like fruit or honey (pasteurized of course) works much better when added this way than at any time during the boil. any thoughts?

I know OLDBREW has suggested going with 1/4 cup in the boil and then tasting but I was wondering about adding it at High Krausen. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that adding anything like fruit or honey (pasteurized of course) works much better when added this way than at any time during the boil. any thoughts?

you could contact them directly and see what they think/say about in the fermenter.

1/2 cup is what I recommended for a dubbels starting point.

I have used it at the end of the boil with excellent results. Never tried after the boiler

well.. one more time

very good deal

I got word from NCM that the order will ship out Thurs(13)/Friday(14) of this coming week. That will put our pickup on Wednesday/Thursday of the following week. I'll have a more definite day and time Monday morning. Get ready!

you sir are covered for your 1 quart order.

I'm not sure you will be able to recreate this "dark candi" brand d2 syrup with that recipe.

I don't think so either... I whipped up a couple quarts last night- one dark and one amber. It's "interesting" ... I taste the Lactic acid as round an a little tart behind the sweet. Maybe I'll try again with fresh lemon juice as the acid component, but obviously still a work in progress for me -maybe useful but not quite belgian candi syrup.

In the meantime maybe I could take 2 quarts instead of one if it is available?

I got word from NCM that the order will ship out Thurs(13)/Friday(14) of this coming week. That will put our pickup on Wednesday/Thursday of the following week. I'll have a more definite day and time Monday morning. Get ready!

Thanks Jeff! Looking forward to the pickup

I don't think so either... I whipped up a couple quarts last night- one dark and one amber. It's "interesting" ... I taste the Lactic acid as round an a little tart behind the sweet. Maybe I'll try again with fresh lemon juice as the acid component, but obviously still a work in progress for me -maybe useful but not quite belgian candi syrup.

In the meantime maybe I could take 2 quarts instead of one if it is available?

Chrisdb.. I now have you covered for 2 quarts

well.. one more time

very good deal

Back