Sour Unsouring?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCoy

Reaction score
Is it possible for this to happen? I recently threw a bottle of my Berliner Weisse in the fridge (after one exploded, probably from too much carbonation for a weak bottle in 80 degrees) and tried it today. It seems less sour than it has in the past. My guess is that one of two things is happening: 1) the carbonic acid is competing with the lactic acid or 2) the cold serving temperature is diminishing my perception of the sourness.

The doughy, sour aroma is the same as when it was bottled, but the sourness in the flavor seems quite diminished compared to when it was flat and warm.

I don't know exactly what it is but there are instances where the sourness has very sharp edges flavorwise. They will smooth out and mesh eventually with the beer. My lambic was crazy sour when the fermentation was about 5 months old with plenty of remaining extract. When I finally bottled it another 9 months later it still pretty sour but not like it was. So you don't lose the sourness but the perception will change because it smooths out and becomes a more harmonious beverage.

I'd suspect that was the most likely possibility if it weren't for the fact that I only bottled this two weeks ago. I did a quick sour, with a week of half the wort on lacto, pasteurizing, and then a week with the full wort on yeast. At bottling it wasn't puckeringly sour, but it was definitely a full sourness. Now, because of the carbonation, the striking thing is the effervescence followed by a slight sour lemon-like twang. That may be spot on the for the style, I'm not really sure as I've only had one example (which was hardly sour at all - Brooklyn Brewery's weisse), but I was just surprised that it seemed much less sour than before.

Back