Sour Smell from White Labs vial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cblack85

Reaction score
I recently purchased a vial of White Labs WLP001 for a Robust Porter. When I opened the vial to pitch in the starter I noticed a distinctly sour/vinegary smell. I closed the vial and did a little internet research where I found this on White Labs website

Answer:
People are often surprised by the way the yeast smells or tastes out of the vial; it is hard to judge since it is a concentrated yeast slurry. It is not going to taste like beer. The pH is also lower, so the higher acidic flavor can taste sour. You really cannot tell purity by smell or taste, although it is not a bad practice to try and become familiar with what is normal.

After reading that I decided to go ahead and pitch the yeast. Fast forward to 1 week into fermentation, the beer is displaying the same sour/vinegary smell that was present in the vial. Has anyone run into this issue before, will the off aroma fade or increase in intensity?

Is my beer ruined?

Just my opinion. The aroma will fade after fermentation. This is similiar to some English ale yeast which produce a sulphur aroma during fermentation.

I tasted my proofed bread yeast once. Horrible, but makes good bread.

I have had very foul smelling yeasts. I did not smell the fermentation. The uncarbonated beer smelled and tasted good. The yeast in the fermenter, after the beer was racked off smelled terrible. The finished beer was great.

All yeasts are different. I would not say there is anything wrong based on smell.

But, if you have used the yeast often and this one smells significantly different? I would be a bit concerned.

Back