Sour Odor Primary (BIAB)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanWolf

Reaction score
Ran my second 5 gallon BIAB batch this past Sunday. Today (Day 2 in primary) I noticed a strong sour odor in my fermenting room. I narrowed down the strong sour odor to this most recent batch of Bell's Two-Hearted ale clone.

9.25 lb American - Pale 2-Row
2 lb American - Vienna
6 oz American - Carapils
0.5 lb American - Munich - Light 10L
Grain Temp 71 F

0.5 oz Centennial Boil 60 min
0.5 oz Centennial Boil 45 min
0.5 oz Centennial Boil 30 min
0.5 oz Centennial Boil 15 min
1 Tablet Whirlfloc Boil 10 min
0.5 oz Centennial Boil 0 min

8 gal
Mash In 149 - 152 F 70 min
Mash Out 165 - 170 F 20 min

60 min boil

Chilled with wort chiller form boil to 70 F in 10 minutes

OG 1.058

White Labs - California Ale V Yeast WLP051 Starter - 18 hours stir plate, cold crashed approximately 34 hours, removed from fridge and let set on counter for approx 8 hours before pitching. A little long I suppose to allow it to reach room temp.

Allowed the trub to settle for approx 40 minutes, pulled sample, racked to primary vessel. Realized my removing 3/4 gal after mash out, before boil was a stupid noob move because I was now almost a gallon short of my 5.25 gallon target for fermentation. I ended up filtering through the funnel almost a half gallon of trub and topped up the rest with tap water (after using bottled spring water for the boil). The sample was amazingly clear and golden in color, hitting within the expected range for the OG. I oxygenated for 1 minute and after decanting I pitched and put on the air lock. I've tried to make sure everything is over sanitized etc.

I have been using the rope tubs for my primary vessels, using a wet bath to maintain temps with ice bottles or aquarium heater to maintain primary temps between 64 - 66 F. When I got home from work Monday afternoon the yeast was active but no air lock activity, although, the krauesen had built to approx 1/2" and appeared somewhat crusted. Today (Tuesday) was when I noticed a strong sour odor and still no air lock activity and the krauesen still 1/2" and was cracking with clear air bubble activity. There is trub settlement and there is a lot of floater activity under the krauesen.

To me it looks fine and just like the first BIAB (Dead Ringer) I ran last weekend, except the US-05 yeast was much more active.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to try and provide as much information as possible. This is my 5th batch (2nd BIAB) and the previous batches have went without issue. Thanks for taking time to read through the book and for any advice you may have.

(I have to figure out how to reduce these pic sizes. haha)
12814745_1311264125557815_6379175766878298450_n.jpg

Disregard I guess. After finally relaxing and doing more research I found where others had similar concerns and just rode it out. I never found any follow ups on conclusions but if it transfers to the taste it'll just be reason to brew it again.

If I could delete this I would, however, your input would still be appreciated.

Remove 3/4 gallon after mash out?

Lesson learned I suppose....
Fermentation can give you some funky odors sometimes...sorry no help here...

Remove 3/4 gallon after mash out?

Lesson learned I suppose....
Fermentation can give you some funky odors sometimes...sorry no help here...

A dumb lesson learned. Trust the calculators. During my few extract brews my boil off was about 1.25 gal so prior to going into the boil I seen my volume was nearly a gallon more than I was used to so I thought if I hopped and my volume ended to high after the boil it may have a negative impact so in a slight panic I figured I'd reduce the volume. And then it was hello trub! Oh yeah, that's why the additional volume is also calculated for the trub, along with the grain absorbtion etc. smh

Back