Sour Cherry Ale Recipe Advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerClaw

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking to make a Sour Cherry Ale that some what replicates a lambic. I am a bit stumped one the amount of DME, flavoring malts and what hops to use. The ale will be a 3 gallon batch and currently in the freezer I have a 1/4 gallon sour cherry juice and 4 cups whole, pitted sour cherries. I am thinking of using a champagne yeast so it ferments out well. Any advise on the amounts and what to use on the ale side?

Thanks,
Dan

I did a great sour cherry ale based on a Flanders Red. I'm a bit confused by your request though, do you want to do something like a lambic (that would be much of its sourness from lactic acid bacteria) or just a clean ale with a bit of tartness from the cherries?

Basically I am looking to brew an ale that has some of the lambic sourness and I want it to have a good cherry flavor. Not sure if I have enough cherries/juice though, maybe just enough for a 3 gallon batch?

I'd love to make a true kriek lambic at some point but I will need an extra carboy and patients!

Latest posts

Back