Sour Barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoorBoy

All Around Nice Guy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So a friend of mine managed to procure a barrel that was used to age a Flemish Red, and we are interested in reusing it for that exact same thing. Should we dig up a recipe, and put the wort in there; or is it like aging other beers, where you put in the finished beer? How long would we let it sit in there? This is a massive barrel, ~55g.

Most all barrels are 55gal

Barrels typically arent used for the actual fermentation, just conditioning. I would find a group of you to all make your own recipe thats somewhat similar then blend it in a solera

You could rig an airlock too it, but the messy krausen and crap from a full fermentation wouldnt be very good for the barrel. The amount of cleaning needed afterwards would strip it of its character, which is the entire reason to use a barrel IMO

I'd look into where it was from and find out why they're getting rid of it, if possible. If it's because they didn't like the flavors it was producing (acetic, etc), you might want to give it a good cleaning first.

Also, if it's already dumped, you'll want to fill it as fast as possible, either with beer or with a holding/cleaning solution.

As for primary fermentation in barrels, plenty of breweries are doing it now: Jester King and Crooked Stave to name a couple

If you already have the barrel, don't have the beer ready, and don't want to fill with a holding solution, it's an option. Just leave some headspace for primary fermentation (and still expect some blowoff), then be sure to have some add'l beer for topping off once primary slows down.

As for time, the beer will tell you. Install a Vinnie nail and take a sample every couple months.

Most all barrels are 55gal

Barrels typically arent used for the actual fermentation, just conditioning. I would find a group of you to all make your own recipe thats somewhat similar then blend it in a solera

You could rig an airlock too it, but the messy krausen and crap from a full fermentation wouldnt be very good for the barrel. The amount of cleaning needed afterwards would strip it of its character, which is the entire reason to use a barrel IMO
So age it in there like you would any other barrel-aged beer. Roger.

What brewery is it from?
Some sour place in ME. I can't recall the brewery.

I'd look into where it was from and find out why they're getting rid of it, if possible. If it's because they didn't like the flavors it was producing (acetic, etc), you might want to give it a good cleaning first.

Also, if it's already dumped, you'll want to fill it as fast as possible, either with beer or with a holding/cleaning solution.

As for primary fermentation in barrels, plenty of breweries are doing it now: Jester King and Crooked Stave to name a couple

If you already have the barrel, don't have the beer ready, and don't want to fill with a holding solution, it's an option. Just leave some headspace for primary fermentation (and still expect some blowoff), then be sure to have some add'l beer for topping off once primary slows down.

As for time, the beer will tell you. Install a Vinnie nail and take a sample every couple months.

I'll have him ask why they gave it up. That's a good point. As far as a holding solution in the barrel, what would you recommend? I'm still new to the barrel thing, only have done one barrel project before. Would the Maine winter prohibit bad things from getting in there if we didn't fill it with something quick enough?

Back