Sour Ale/Gose Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaysquared2

Reaction score
So I know a true Gose/Berliner is heavily wheat so I guess this would be more just a Sour Ale that's mostly a SMaSH with just some slight adjucts:

By Gum, It's Gum
Blueberry Sour Ale
Batch Size: 4 Gallons
Efficiency: 65%
Estimated OG: 1.053
Estimated FG: 1.011
ABV: 5.7%

7.5# Pilsner Malt
1.5# Flaked Oats

0.3oz GR Hallertau Mittelfruh 9.8%AA @60

S-04 Yeast or BRY-97 Yeast
4LBs Blueberries Secondary

My questions/issues are:
Is 9.8% even possible for this hop? Ordered 8oz from East Side Hops and thats what they're labeled as? Do I assume theyre correct and roll with the recipe as is (would be about 13.6IBU)? If theyre mislabeled then I'd calculate maybe 4,5% which makes it 6.7IBUs. Both of which should be fine. Secondly, which yeast is better for style? This will be kettle soured with goodbelly mango btw.

And if I wanted to do this as say an Acai Berry instead of blueberry, would I use the same amount or would I need to tweak it (more/less)?

Last edited:
I highly doubt any noble hops, especially German, are that high. I haven't seen any above 4% this year - apparently there's some crop issue. I would plan to get more with the idea that you'll need to reformulate with ~4% in mind.

I'm not intimately familiar with either of those yeast strains, but both look equally unremarkable regarding their (manufacturer's) profile. I would imagine both are pretty similar to US-05 or 1056, which work well with kettle sours.

No idea on the acai vs blueberry issue.

Back