Sort of Papazian's Palilalia IPA (All Grain)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemsworth

Reaction score
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Bry 97
Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5 gallons
Original Gravity: 1.056
Final Gravity: 1.016
IBU: 51.98
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 11.7
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days at 65 Degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 Days at 67 Degrees Dry hopped and oak chips

One of my first non-kit beers that I made was Palilalia Pale Ale from Papazian's "The Joy of Homebrewing". It was the beer that opened my eyes as to how great homebrew could be. Years later when I switched to all grain, I tried to convert his extract recipe but it just never turned out as great. Well 3 weeks ago I messed around a bit and made this. It is by far the most delicious beer that I have ever made...dare I say even better than any commercial/ craft offering that I have had...and that was just the hydrometer sample on kegging day.

I set the OG/ FG numbers that Brewer's Friend came up with but my numbers were much different. My brewhouse efficiency is running around 86% at the moment...so I had an OG of 1.064 and FG of 1.008. 7.35%!!

After two weeks in the primary, I transferred to a secondary and dry hopped with 2 oz of cascades and added 2 oz of light toasted oak chips that were soaked in bourbon. I dumped out the bourbon and added only the chips.

I'm begging you to try this.

Ingredients:

9 lb. Canadian 2 row
1 lb. Crystal 60
1 lb. Crystal 20
0.5 lb. Toasted 2 row (spread on baking sheet, toast @ 350 in oven for 8-10 min...this is KEY!)
1.75 oz Northern Brewer @ 60 min.
.75 oz. Cascades @ 1 min.
Bry 97 Yeast

Mash @ 154 for 90 minutes
Ferment @ 65 ambient (I don't have a ferm. chamber) for 14 days
Secondary on 2 oz. cascades leaf and 2 oz. bourbon soaked oak chips for 7 days @ 67 ambient

Hey I've been searching for people on here brewing Papazian's recipes. This looks great and I think I'll try it out in a couple weeks. Do you mill the malt after it's toasted? What made you add the oak chips?

I think I was reading about oak/ bourbon for another recipe and it just sounded like it would work with this recipe. I didn't add a whole lot of oak, either. 2 ounces, I think. I mill the toasted grains with the rest of the grains.
If you make it, post back here and let me know how it turns out.

Back