Sorry for another "infected" thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfoley23

Reaction score
Hey guys this is my first post so I'm sorry its an infection question but I just checked my secondary today and I saw some floaters in it and I can't tell if its yeast that has risen with air bubbles to the top or mold. I took the best picture I could with bad lighting. So what do you think, should I be good or is my batch ruined?

ForumRunner_20120603_065238.jpg

Just like all the other threads like this......It looks to me like all you have is some yeast rafts floating on the surface of the beer. Our beer is rarely ever free of everything.

You're fine.

I appreciate the responses. I know its a beaten and over asked topic and I hate to do stuff like that but I just wanted another set of eyes. I assumed it was a yeast raft but like I said I just wanted to make sure. Thanks again.

cfoley23 said:
I appreciate the responses. I know its a beaten and over asked topic and I hate to do stuff like that but I just wanted another set of eyes. I assumed it was a yeast raft but like I said I just wanted to make sure. Thanks again.

No problem. Despite my avatar it's only natural to worry at first (or every time I brew). The more you brew, the more you begin to trust in the beer. Dropped my turkey baster in my cooled wort yesterday. Heart dropped but then I sanitized my arm and went in after it..took the opportunity to mix my top off water better!

I'm not too worried :) Welcome to the forums!

Note: I don't recommend swimming in whole or in part in your beer :mug:

Dropped my turkey baster in my cooled wort yesterday. Heart dropped but then I sanitized my arm and went in after it..took the opportunity to mix my top off water better!

I've had to do this a couple of times when I dropped things into my wort. In both cases the beer came out absolutely fine! :mug:

Some large tongs work nicely without sanitzing your arm.I put a teaball of hops in the wrong fermenter once and had to get it out.

It's often just best to leave the object in your fermenter, or whatever rather than fishing them out. If they're sanitized, then it's not going to do anything. It's almost impossible to fully sanitize your arm, especially since we all have crud under our nails and yeast on our skin. You're almost usually better off just closing up the fermenter or whatever and letting it go.

I tried tongs, didn't work because the ones I have weren't long enough. And I thought about leaving it, but I needed that strainer for other things! I understand in a lot of cases it's probably better to leave it, but the beers still turned out mighty fine.

Same here, no tongs and wife needs the baster. I know what i'm putting on my equipment list next though...

No problem. Despite my avatar it's only natural to worry at first (or every time I brew). The more you brew, the more you begin to trust in the beer. Dropped my turkey baster in my cooled wort yesterday. Heart dropped but then I sanitized my arm and went in after it..took the opportunity to mix my top off water better!

I'm trying to relax but I just have three batches in me and have yet to get a final taste yet on any of them. Fermentation was my biggest worry so far. My first brew started bubbling away within 2 hours of pitching the yeast. Of course, the next weekend on brew #2, I waited for about 3 hours before going to bed with no bubbling in the airlock. Waking up the next morning, about 10 hours since pitching the yeast, still no bubbling. Now I'm starting to get anxious even though I've read numerous threads about how long starting fermentation can take. Finally after about 14 hours, we had bubbling and my fears were relieved! :mug: For batch #3, it was again about 14 hours but I was not nearly as worried as I was for #2. So, I can attest, the more you brew, the more relaxed you get... :mug:

Back