Sorghum question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So to be clear, if i brew using sorghum without using hops, it could be brewed in a standard glass carboy. and exposure to sunlight durring fermentation wouldnt be a problem?

interesting, I did not know that sun-struck hop oils were the culprit for "skunking" in beer!
The second website below says that the reason you want to keep wine out of the light is for appearance reasons. Interesting!

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter9-2.html
http://www.foodsafetysite.com/educators/competencies/general/microbiology/mic6.html

Big question is why would it be important for you to brew in the sunlight?
My guess is beer in general would be pretty crappy without the hops but sorghum beer especially. Many of us use the hop profile to hide the sorghum "twang".

Hops are indeed the culprit. You can actually notice skunking if you sit out in bright sunlight with a pint. By the end of the glass it will start to appear. Some major brands use hop oil extracts to reduce skunking.

Sunlight can breakdown many different compunds in beer. Without hops you won't get skunking but, I can't imagine it is good for the malt or yeast contributing compounds either.

Still, the question is: Why do you need to brew in direct sunlight? You can't put a cover on the carboy? I use the box it came in. I just poke the airlock out through the flaps.

The problem is that the only place i have to keep my carboys at the moment is the counter over the sink. Its not in direct sunlight but it does get sunlight. Ive tried using covers before but they always end up wet or damaged ( Small apt Messy roommate ).
As for covering up the "twang" I'm actually looking at sorghum for use in mead and cider.

I'm going to hold off on using it until i can get a better set up, hopefully in a month or so i can get some kind of cabinet or such to keep them in.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Back