Sorachi Ace Wheat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielofthedale

Reaction score
I am looking to make to a Wheat beer of some kind for the late Spring/Summer and I would like to be a little more on the lemon side of the citrus flavor.

I have heard that Sorachi Ace hops are very lemony would to know if they would work well in a wheat beer or would they over power it?

Also if anyone has a recipe for a beer like this or know where I can find one it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I think it would work in an american wheat with a neutral ale yeast (Wyeast 1056) but probably not so much with the German Hefeweizen yeasts because they have the banana/clove characters which would probably be pretty nasty with a lemon like flavor but that's just my opinion....

I'd probably start with something like this and sub Sorachi Ace for Hallertau and match alpha acids.

I just tried a hefeweizen sorachi ace that has about 70 ibu's and its great, I am thinking about making one tomorrow...
edit: yes i know hefeweizens don't have 70 ibu's but what I mean is that the brewer used a german hefeweizen yeast and then used sorachi ace to about 70 ibu's. Its delicious, really showcases the lemony escence of that hop...

I made the Bee Cave Brewery Hef recipe I found on this forum, but subbed Sorachi for all hop additions. Turned out terrific - this is now a must have summertime house brew.

there is a post with a recipe for a lemon lime heffe if you do a search you will find it. I just brewed this the other day and it smells absolutly amazing. the recipe calls for sorachi ace and motueka hops which both have lemony flavors. I myself could not get ahold of the moteuka so i just used the sorachi.

there is a post with a recipe for a lemon lime heffe if you do a search you will find it. I just brewed this the other day and it smells absolutly amazing. the recipe calls for sorachi ace and motueka hops which both have lemony flavors. I myself could not get ahold of the moteuka so i just used the sorachi.

That looks really good. What do you think of the idea of adding some Grains of Paradise to the recipe?

I made the Bee Cave Brewery Hef recipe I found on this forum, but subbed Sorachi for all hop additions. Turned out terrific - this is now a must have summertime house brew.

Does the lemon character of the hops work with the banana/clove from the yeast?

I haven't tried Sorachi, but I'm quite fond of Sterling for it's somewhat lemony flavor. Anyone have experience with both for a comparison?

michael.berta said:
Does the lemon character of the hops work with the banana/clove from the yeast?

It actually comes out with a very complex flavor that most people have a hard time placing (all have liked it but most had to ask what was in it). I have always fermented this on the warmer side (low 70's) because I'm not a big fan of the clove flavors, so not sure how it would be with a cooler ferment. As long as you don't get too carried away with hop additions they come together quite nicely.

I just made a Sorachi Ace Amber that should be all carbed and conditioned by this weekend.

The guy I got the Sorachi Ace from makes award winning Sorachi Ace Hefe's, Wheats, and Ryes. I've had a few, and they are really good, so I traded him some Citra and Simcoe for his Sorachi Ace and used it in my last recipe.

Brew on!

I'm drinking a Kolsch hopped with S-Ace and Saaz. I like it, but I'll pull back a little on the lat SA additions next time. They have a dill flavor along with the lemon. This beer is definitely a little funky, with a tangy lemon-dill/bitter finish - definitely not like a commercial Kolsch. I like it, but it may be a bit much for some. Go easy with it first time out.

BrewMU, what were your late additions? I've heard from some others that the dill can be overpowering, so i've scaled back my plan a little. American wheat planned at 1.047 and 25 IBUs. Mt. Hood bittering, then .25 oz Sorachi @ 15min (for 7 IBUs) and .5 oz Sorachi @ 7 min (for 7 IBUs). Too forward?

Puttin

Latest posts

Back