Sorachi Ace in A Saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexM40

Reaction score
I've had this NB Saison kit sitting around for about a year and want to brew it.
Here's the original kit recipe:
- 3.15 lbs Pilsen malt syrup
- 1 lb Pilsen dry malt extract
- 1 lb Wheat dry malt extract
- 0.5 lbs Belgian Cara 20
- 1 oz UK Kent Goldings (60 min)
- 0.25 oz Styrian Goldings (Celeia) (10 min)
- 0.25 oz Saaz (10 min)
- 0.75 oz Styrian Goldings (Celeia) (2 min)
- 0.75 oz Saaz (2 min)

What I have in mind is using Sorachi Ace for flavor and aroma, thinking it would add some nice citrus to the mix.
I'd like to get some opinions on whether Sorachi Ace would fit into the mix, where? Or should I eliminate on or another of the scheduled hops due to compatibility issues?

Yeah Sorachi Ace is an awesome hop in a saison, gives of some really interesting flavours that can go great with the Belgian yeast strains. I used this with a simple Pils and wheat grain bill and the 3711 yeast, turned out fantastic.
Aim for something like 25 - 30IBUs in and add in some generous late additions. what yeast you using?

Don't overdo it on Sorachi. .5 oz is probably enough for aroma. It can be a little "soapy" if used too liberally.

I'm using the Danstar Belle Saison the kit came with. I'm told that this is a great Saison yeast strain.
Should i include Sorachi Ace with the other hops in the schedule or eliminate one of them and sub the Sorachi?

Sorry I haven't used enough of SaaZ or Styrian Goldings to know if they pair well with Sorachi Ace... someone else might be able to provide some guidance here.

Personally I would single hop the brew to get the most out of it.

Back