Sorachi Ace/German Pilsner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgardner6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm brewing a German Pilsner this weekend and was wondering what everyone thinks about trying Sorachi Ace hops in it. Boil, Flavor, and aroma. I know this won't be to style, but I have never used Sorachi Ace and was thinking the lemon attributes might work will well with it.

As some one who enjoys good German pilsners, I have to say "Nein!" to using anything but noble hops! But, if you're game I think it's be interesting. If you do it, make sure you post back with the results.

No offense but my taste buds aren't liking the thought of lemony notes in a German pils. I am wondering about Sorachi Ace in a hefe now though. I've had good results with very small (like 1/4 oz small), late cascade additions in a hefe before. I think this would yield similar and maybe even superior results.

I say go for it. I used Sorachi Ace in a Belgian Golden Strong @ 90/20/5 min and it turned out delicious. I get a mellow lemony flavor with some slight spiciness to it - it really blended well with the light fruitiness of Duvel's yeast

Well I brewed the Sorachi Ace Pilsner and kegged it yesterday at 3 1/2 weeks old. Starting gravity was 1.045 and finishing was 1.009. No Diacetyl, dry and the Sorachi Ace complemented it very well. I wasn't expecting the beer to be this good at 3 1/2 weeks(I wanted to drink it then). I'm planning on tapping it at xmas time so I'll have more details and pics then.

You should try it sooner for kicks. I find with my all sorachi brews that the young ones have a real tropical fruit coconut flavor and then later trials (a month or 2 later) that tropical fruit had subsided to a lemony taste. YMMV

I too got coconut flavor when I used them. I think I tossed them after that.

Yeah I'm a fan of Soracho Ace so I say go for it. I think it'll be delicious if used near flameout in fistfuls (unless its pellets).

I think Sorachi Ace is a great hop for lagers!!! For lighter, less bitter lagers (the kind with adjuncts) it works fabulously. The lagers I brew with it always score well in comps. I use it primarily for bittering with just the tiniest amount in the last 5 min. I do use a noble type in the middle for flavor. The way I use it you don't really notice a lemony flavor, it just come across as adding a little complexity. If you let the beer warm up, then you start to notice some lemon.

Back