Soooo my fiancée may have cold crashed my wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tam

Reaction score
So I am living between two places right now and followed my fiancée to our other home for the weekend, not realizing he had turned the furnace off. The temperature dropped about 18 degrees Celsius over the weekend and my house was a balmy 9 degrees Celsius when I got back. Thoughts about my batch? Is it prematurely done? I bottle so does it have a chance for carbonation?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Have you taken any gravity readings? Warmed it back up? If it is stalled then bottling could lead to overcarbonation.

It was 1.020 before I left and I haven't tested since. I figured I would give it a day or two before I tested again and it's should be getting back to temp by now. My main concern is will this have killed all the yeast or can it recover and continue on to finish? I wasn't planning in throwing it into bottles immediately specifically because of the overcarbonation issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What was the OG, and what yeast is it? Yeast won't die, but they would end their phase and drop out of suspension into hibernation. Warming it up doesn't mean they will automagically restart, but they can.

Let the beer warm up. Check the SG three days after the beer has warmed. Resuspend the yeast if the fermentation is not complete and there is no sign of the fermentation restarting.
Be very gentle when resuspending yeast to avoid oxidizing the beer.

9 degrees Celsius wont kill yeast, like flars said, let it warm and check gravity a few days after it get back up to acceptable fermentation temp

Latest posts

Back