sonnet hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z987k

Reaction score
I noticed a new hop variety at hops direct.

Sonnet. They don't give any description, so I was wondering if anyone had used them.

no idea. weird that they don't have any info on it - not even a pedigree. wonder where they got it from.

No but I just ordered some, at $8 per pound how can you go wrong?

I was tempted, but I already have around 10 lbs to use so I'm holding off :tank:

Its a shame cause I like the idea of trying something new. The low alpha makes me think it's some noble mix. Probably haulertau (SP?) variety #1,234,567,890

I swear google turned up a 1 message thread here, but I'm not finding it anymore. When I google sonnet now, the only result is this thread.

I'm going to make a SMASH with the Sonnet hops when I get them but if it tastes like Saaz it will be a dumper. If anyone has any info, please chime in.

you could make a pilsner. That would be a smash that would work well with saaz.

I always saw Saaz described as spicy & earthy, never heard of it being fruity at all. I guess its like all the "Cat pee" hops, we all taste things differently.

Id be interested in how this turns out

I ordered some of their Mt Rainier hops awhile back, havent tried the beer that I brewed with them yet, but the hops themselves were a bit underwhelming, kind of a muted smell and next to no lupulin

They should arrive next Tues, don't know when I'll get a chance to brew with them (all my fermenters are full) but if they turn out too Sazzy, I'll take you up on that. I'm still hoping that they are a Hallertauer type, after all, they are sold by a Washington farm so likely came from the Tri-State Hop Breeding program, whose primary goal is too breed a replacement for Hallertauer Mittelfrüh.

Off Hops Direct site
NEW HOP LEAF TO TRY....SONNET

We have a brand-spanking new hop we've received this winter, it is from a baby yard of a brand new type of aroma...it is named "Sonnet". We hear it has similar properties to Golding.

Our hope is to let brewers try it, give us input and see if it is a variety worth putting more time into. Simply click on Hops/buy leaf hops and you will find it in at the bottom of the list.

Keep in mind, we have 1 of 2 bales in the world (one here and one went to Europe for experimenting) so if you are brave and you get the time, please email your thoughts or experiences with "sonnet feeback" in the subject line, thanks!

From what I've read, it is saaz derived.

I read it was similar to goldings

"NEW HOP LEAF TO TRY....SONNET

We have a brand-spanking new hop we've received this winter, it is from a baby yard of a brand new type of aroma...it is named "Sonnet". We hear it has similar properties to Golding.

Our hope is to let brewers try it, give us input and see if it is a variety worth putting more time into. Simply click on Hops/buy leaf hops and you will find it in at the bottom of the list.

Keep in mind, we have 1 of 2 bales in the world (one here and one went to Europe for experimenting) so if you are brave and you get the time, please email your thoughts or experiences with "sonnet feeback" in the subject line, thanks!"

from http://www.hopsdirect.com/news/article.src?ID=37

Im brewing a bitter with them i have no idea how it will turn out but we will see.

and freezeblade if you want some ill sell you some =)

I just picked up a couple of ounces so I'll make a half batch this w/e. If it's a Golding's variant then a simple MO+crystal 55 Best Bitter sounds like a nice way to go.

I brewed a 12gals batch of CAP yesterday. 1 oz Warrior at 45mins and 3 oz Sonnet at 10mins. Like everyone else, I'd been waiting to hear some opinions on them, but I got tired of waiting.

I bought a lb of these from hops direct as well and I think I'm going to make a pale ale this weekend with these hops, might do some hop bursting on this one to figure out the characteristics. Any suggestions anyone?

I'm going to do a bitter with them in December. I got tired of waiting for responses so I just went ahead and put added a pound to my hops direct order. Probably something like:

Maris Otter to about 1.045
0.75 lb Carastan
0.25 lb Crystal 120

Bitter with Sonnet to 35 IBU
1 oz Sonnet at 15
1 oz Sonnet at 1
Dry hop 1/2 oz Sonnet

Mash at 154, Wyeast 1469

I'm brewing up an ESB today, and also throwing in some Sonnet's to experiment. I expect it to be something like Fuggles/Golding/Willamette, which should go perfect in the recipe below. This recipe is taken from Caspio and his 1st place winning ESB, but I've replaced the Willamettes in his recipe with Sonnets. We'll see how it goes...if nothing else it will be BEER!

11 Gallon Recipe:
15.5# Pale Ale Malt
3.5# Toasted Pale Ale Malt (10-15m in the oven @ 350F)
2.0# C60L
2.0# CaraPils (Dextrine) Malt

3.0oz Sonnet Goldings (4.1%) - 60m
2.0oz Tettnang (4.5%) - 30m
1.0oz Sonnet Goldings (4.1%) - 20m
2.0oz Tettnang (4.5%) - 5m

2 pkgs London ESB Yeast (Wyeast 1098)

Mash @ 154F for 60 minutes (no mash out)
Ferment @ 66F for 21 days
Crash cool to 35F and hold for 2 days
Keg and carb @ 30psi for 3 days

I bought 1 lb last year and brewed a Best Bitter, ESB, Scotch Ale and Porter all 100% Sonnet. They taste similar to Goldings but a little more flowery with perhaps a dash of fruit. They are woodier like UK Goldings and seem to taste a bit more like them then they do US Goldings.

So Sonnet to me is a woody and flowery British hop. To my pallet I'd describe UK Goldings as woody and flowery. US Goldings as flowery and herbal. Willamette as herbal and earthy. UK Fuggles as woody and earthy.

Both of the previous recipes posted above look damn tasty.

So I made a sonnet pale ale last night. Recipe as follows.
5.5 gal
5 lb 2row
3 lb vienna
3 lb munich
OG-1055
1 oz amarillo(8.5%) @ 75min
1 oz sonnet(4.1%) @45 min
2 oz sonnet(4.1%) @15 min
2 oz sonnet(4.1%) @2 min
IBU~55
SRM~7-8
I'm a fan of english Pale Ales and I figured if I hop bursted the snot out of this beer, I would get a good idea of what aromas and flavors sonnet provides. The amarillo is in there at the beginning because its the highest alpha hop I had. I did use Wyeast 1056, American Ale yeast, only because it's what I had available and I don't trust the nottingham that my LBHS sells. It should turn out interesting, I'll post results around thanksgiving. Planning on primary for 2 weeks followed by a quick force carb in time for the holidays. Fermenting at 62F in the garage. BTW, 6 oz of leaf hops on the bottom of your kettle is awesome.

I'm giving sonnets a try today with a nice English IPA. I really like the aroma the hops have. It's a nice delicate mix of grass and hay with a bit of a floral character and a really interesting sweet butterscotchy aroma in the background. Should be really nice in English ales. Here's the recipe I'm doing. Should be a dry, well-balanced, golden-colored ale with good hop aroma and flavor without it being overwhelming. I'm hoping it showcases the sonnet hops to good advantage.

OG 1.060
IBU 50
SRM 6.8

83% MO
7% Torrified Wheat
5% Carastan
5% Demerara Sugar

3.3 oz Sonnet @ 90
1 oz Sonnet @ 10
1 oz Sonnet @ flameout
0.5 oz Sonnet DH

Mashing @ 150 for 90 min