Something Wild Going On?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildHopHunter

Reaction score
Hi everyone - I am currently brewing my first Belgian Tripel. This is one of JZ's recipes. My brew day went pretty smooth, I was aiming for an OG of 1.081 and I achieved a 1.079.
I made a 1L yeast starter (WLP530) and it took about a day for the yeast to take off. What was strange was that 2 days later it appeared that the yeast was still working away. I finally cold crashed the starter, decanted and pitched the yeast slurry.
I held the fermentation at 67 F for 3 days then let the beer free rise to 72 F and it sat there for 5 days. I went to take a gravity measurement and noticed a thin layer of Krausen still on top of the beer, the gravity was 1.010. I let things sit for another 2 days (checked it today) there is still a thin layer of Krausen on top and now the gravity is at 1.004 and the beer tastes funky but not bad.
Should WLP530 be able to attenuate down to 1.004 or do I have something wild going on?

I've had Wyeast3787 (which is WLP530s equivalent, or at least very close) get down to 1.003. You're beer will be great one man, dry and digestible! And your fermentation temps look good to me too.

Stevo

Back