Something is not right here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natehilde

Reaction score
I kegged my first AG about a week ago, and I have a few concerns. There seems to be something wrong, but I can't put my finger on it.

My target OG was 1052 and I was a bit shy of that, at about 1049. I pitched a 1liter yeast starter and fermentation temp was between 75-77F.

The beer tastes weak, watered down, bland, and overall disappointing. I know that it has only been one week and it will continue to get better, but I can usually tell by this point if the batch is going to be worth a damn. What's going on here?

You should post a recipe, and what yeast did you use 75-77 is a tad warm, depending on the style and yeast strain.

wop31 said:
You should post a recipe, and what yeast did you use 75-77 is a tad warm, depending on the style and yeast strain.
Here is the recipe that I used:

* 5 lbs. Dingemans Pils
* 2 lbs. Munich Malt
* 2 lbs. Dark Munich Malt
* 0.50 lbs. Victory Malt
* 0.50 lbs. Breiss Crystal 60

* 1 oz. Liberty (60 min)
* 0.5 oz. Hallertau (15 min)
* 0.5 oz. Hallertau (5 min)

Wyeast #1762 Belgian Abbey II

I know that was probably a bit too high for the temperature range......work was interfering with my hobby again!

What was the final Gravity, so I can crunch some numbers. also what was your efficiancy and mash schedule and sparge run off?

Cheers

Well, while I have been answering you questions, I think I found some of the problems.

My final gravity was 1025 (only 48% attenuation)

Mash schedule: single infusion at 152F for one hour. Collected first runnings and fly sparged while collecting wort (20-25 min)

I don't know how to calculate efficiency.

I was also supposed to use about 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain. I pretty much blew that off. I think I was about 3 quarts per pound of grain.

I think that my water usage coupled with fermentation temperature probably was two main contributors.

I think I was about 3 quarts per pound of grain.

That just might explain the watery flavor with all the grains other than 2 row you added.
You probably didn't get proper conversion from your mash.

I don't fly sparge, but if I remember correctly you should sparge very slowly, like over an hour to extract the sugars. So, you should mash with around 1.25-1.5quarts/pound and sparge with the remainder (which would be twice that probably). You kind of got that backwards, so that would explain the watery flavor. It might improve a bit in the keg, so don't write it off yet!

Do you think that the watery flavor could be because I didn't get enough boil off? Other than the water to grist ratio, I haven't the foggiest of ideas how to calculate water usage prior to brewing. Like I said, this was my first AG. I had never seen one done before. I just jumped right into AG from extract. I figured that if I hit all the major points, the rest would fall into place. Or in the words of Joe Dirt, "that **** will buff out."

You can get some software like BeerSmith or ProMash that will calculate water usage for you. I like BeerSmith better in this area.

You don't need them, however. in http://www.howtobrew.com , Palmer goes over calculations that determine how much water to use and the temperature of the water to add to get to your final temp. It's quite useful.

Latest posts

Back