Something based on Thornbridge's Bracia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclebrazzie

Reaction score
Peepz,

I'm trying to puzzle together how Thornbridge brews their amazing Bracia.
So far, I get mostly sketchy outlines, but what I have is this:

ABV: 10.00%
IBU: Unknown
OG: Unknown
FG: Unknown
Malt Type(s): Marris Otter, Brown, Dark Crystal, Black, Chocolate, Peated and Roasted Barley
Hop Type(s): Target, Pioneer, Hallertau, and Sorachi Ace
Yeast Type: Unknown
Special Additives: Chestnut Honey

Trying to cook up a recipe brings me to an initial rough draft of this:

53% Maris Otter
10% Brown
10% Dark Crystal
10% Peated
2% Black
2% Chocolate
2% Roasted Barley
11% Chestnut honey (added 2 days into primary)

Yields 1.095 witout the honey and 1.109 with.
Ideally step mash:
30' @ 63°C
40' @ 72°C
mashout at 78°C

(hops based on other 10% complex stoutish honey brews, could be waaaay off though)
80 IBU of Target (60')
20 IBU of Pioneer (60')
10 IBU of Hallerthau (15')
10 IBU of Sorachi Ace (15')

90' boil, if not longer.

Neutral but UK yeast, capable of munching away through all that.

Whatcha think?

PS: I realise peated malt is a polarising ingredient. If peat's not your thing, just assume I either know what I'm doing on that account, or either just plain weird. Both of which may or may not be entirely accurate.

Thats got way too much specialty malts in it (wont talk about having THAT much peated malt)

I stay under 20% specialty malts as a rule of thumb, even for something like an RIS. Youve got a whopping 36% there, if you count honey with the base malts. I would omit the brown, I dont think its bringing anything to the table here, as well as either the black or roasted barley. Dialing down the crystal would probably be good too if you are set on the 10% peated. Ive never had this beer before, but I can tell you with a decent amount of certainty that this will make for a cloyingly sweet beer

Latest posts

Back