someone please check me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjb999

Reaction score
I'm making a starter for dead ringer IPA. Using Wyeast smack pack. And some of the LME which came in the NB kit. I plan to combine 2/3 cup of LME with 2 cups of water. I pitch the yeast at about 70 degrees? Do i keep this starter at room temp? I'm brewing this batch on Sunday and I already smacked the pack so there's no turning back Jack.

Yes, you can and should keep it at room temp depending on the temperature parameters of your test. You will want to put it in the fridge on Friday night or Saturday morning. This will make the grown yeast go dormant and settle out of the liquid. On Sunday morning pull out your starter and decant (pour out) the liquid. Leaving just enough to swirl around the yeast. Let the yeast come to room temp before you pitch it. You may also want to check the amounts of DME and water. I'm not sure on the conversion to cups but you want 10 grams of DME to 100ml of water.

[EDIT] I googled it for you and 2 cups of water is around 473ml so you would want about 47 grams of DME which is about ( .1 of a pound) yes, that is a tenth of a pound not a typo.

Thank you for your help. I am however using Liquid Malt Extract not Dry extract. I also have no way to measure in grams. tablespoons and cups is all i've got. Pretty sure for DME the ratio is 1/2 cup to 2 cups water and to allow for the water in liquid extract the ratio becomes 2/3 cup LME to 2 cup water. Thanks fro explaining to dump the liquid prior to pitching, I missed that somewhere, I would have dumped it all in my wort.

Lol oh, slight over sight on my part there I over looked the LME part. The decanting the liquid is not a necessity but some people claim that it can produce off flavors. Since you have the time to let it do its thing you might as well. In a pinch however, you can dump the whole thing. It really is just a personal preference.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Make sure you add DME to boiling water, cool to 70 deg F, then pitch yeast into starter. Normal starter size is 1-2
Liters.

If you use the Extract that came with your kit, you may not reach your intended Starting Gravity. If you have an LHBS or access to DME, that would be a better option.

Your 2/3c LME to 2c water might not be quire right. Your S.G. of your starter should roughly match your S.G. of your wort.

Great beer though, next time use the us-05, no starter needed and comes out great!

Your 2/3c LME to 2c water might not be quire right. Your S.G. of your starter should roughly match your S.G. of your wort.

Great beer though, next time use the us-05, no starter needed and comes out great!

This is not completely accurate. A starter should have a starting gravity of 1.040 or lower. The idea of a starter is to grow yeast and improve the health of the cell walls, not ferment the starter wort to 5%.

Back