Some questions on building a keggle hop spider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeepinctbrewer

Reaction score
Been looking at all the DIY hop spiders on here, and one of my questions is will my fine mesh bag work ok? I already have a 19" long one I bought from northern brewer that I used to use for partial mash. And also I see a lot of people say the PVC warps. Is there something Else I can use from home depot. And has anyone figured out if you really loose and hop utilization yet? Thanks

Mesh bag will work, an insinkerator trim ring is a great ss substitute for the pvc, and it does effect hop utilization, not sure how much though.

Here's how I created my own hops spider using a 2qt Stainless Dog Pail.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/better-stainless-hop-spider-318491/

2012-04-03_21-06-53_511-Small.jpg

All done $17 we'll spent

Hope this works for you. I brewed once using a nearly identical PVC collared hop spider, and about half way my first fulll 10 gal boil it had deformed so much, that it literally fell into the boil kettle. I have since switched to a insinkerator based spider (see Monster Mashes' post) and have never had a problem.

Wish you luck! :tank:

Ya I had it in my hand just didn't feel lie spending $15 for it. Went with a really thick one. And it sits high up on my keggle

Will se. Can always upgrade down the road

I've been using, what appears to be, the same pvc coupler on my 8 gal pot and have had no issues at all.

Latest posts

Back