Some Out of the Box Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRock303

Reaction score
I was talking with a friend of mine who is a chef and he had some strange ideas for ciders. I culled out a few and I wanted to see if I could get some feedback on them. These would all be flavorings for an apple base.

The first is a coconut cider. I like the idea, but there is the problem of the meat of the coconut is it has a high amount of fat. I thought using coconut water might work with maybe coconut sugar to boot the gravity up or reduce some coconut water to get to the right gravity.

The second is corn. I know it sounds weird. I make a carrot/apple cider that totally works so a vegetable with decent sugar levels isn't too far out of my wheel house. I'd roast the corn to break the starches down to sugars and juice the corn. I was maybe going to add some curry powder to it to add some spicyness.

The last is horseradish. Not sure how to I would use it yet, but when not combined with vinegar raw horseradish has a good flavor. I was thinking of looking for some actual wasabi root and using it instead. I guess just throwing some in primary would give me an idea if it would work.

Sorry for any grammatical errors, I'm trying to kill one of my cornies so I can keg a new batch tomorrow. Thanks for any input on my out there ideas.

Coconut I could see. Jack Keller has a coconut wine recipe, so I'm sure it can be done.

Corn.... Not sure about this one. You would have to be very light handed with the curry and have really sweet corn. Could be interesting.

Horse radish. I love this stuff, but I just can't comprehend a way this would be good in cider. I'm very adventurous with flavours, but this one just screams savoury to me, not sweet. A Caesar maybe, but not a cider.

I think horseradish pairs really well with apples and could be used somehow. I smoked some apples and juiced them and I think a little horseradish and sage would have worked really well. Obviously I would back sweeten in a keg with those kink of strong flavors.

In Colorado we do get really sweet corn in the summer so maybe I'll wait till then to try that out.

When you say Horseradish, I think along the lines of ginger. Try checking out some cider/ginger recepies to get an idea of how much to use.

Back