Some iodophor solution left in fermenter: bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stricklandia

Reaction score
This forum is awesome, and tremendously helpful when I have a question. I've searched quite a bit, though, and can't find an answer to this current question.

Transferring my wort to the fermenter yesterday, I realized -- too late, as I was pouring -- that I had left a small amount of iodophor sanitizing solution in the fermenter. We're only talking about 2 oz. here, so is that a small enough amount to not worry about it? (and it was a solution -- that is, the iodophor had already been diluted into water)

I expect it's no big deal, considering the small amount, and especially since I drink water treated with iodine when I go backcountry backpacking. But just wanted to get your feedback....

It will be fine. Iodophor, once diluted to the proper ratio, is a non-rinse sanitizer. Some people do rinse but I don't bother.

Someone in my homebrew club had the following to say:

StarSan will have no impact on the beer in that amount other than dilution. Iodophor, however, will change the flavor profile of the beer in even small amounts. If doing a pale ale or the like, it can affect color dramatically as well. Switch to StarSan.

2 oz. of Iodophor solution would really have an impact?

I am sure someone out there might have a palate refined enough to detect 2oz of diluted iodophor in what I assume is a 5 gallon batch. But for the rest of us common folk, it really won't matter. I would venture to say the same for the impact on the color. And if it worries you too much, just rinse after sanitizing and call it a day.

If you really want to test that theory, pour two identical beers and put a few drops of diluted iodophor in one to see for your self. Hell, you said you have treated drinking water with iodine. It would have a similar impact on taste and color as that but much much more diluted since you are just treating the surfaces of the fermenter rather than the actual liquid as with treated stream water.

Latest posts

Back