Some advice please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've made 5 gallons of hard cider which fermented nicely for about 2 weeks. After it stopped I transferred the cider into a carboy and it's been there for 4 weeks now and has cleared nicely. I have noticed though that it is getting a bit darker in colour. Is this normal. And how long could I leave it before transferring it into my keg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Yes that is normal. It has to do with the yeast in suspension. During fermentation the yeast are thoroughly in suspension, because yeast is an off white color they reflect light very well making the bright appearance of the cider. As fermentation ends the yeast drop out of suspension and the cider clears. Since there is not the same amount of yeast in suspension less light is being reflected, and is instead being transmitted, giving the appearance that it is darker.

Science is fun lol! :mug:

Thanks, it's great to know that what ever is troubling you in home brew somebody in here can and will help you. Your a star

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back