Some advice for newb, making first 5 gallon batch. Is my fermentation stuck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BubbaMan

Reaction score
Maybe everything is ok, maybe not...I'm not sure. Maybe your insight can help.
There are a lot of "firsts" for me this batch. I'm using a FastFerment for the first time, first 5 gallon batch, which is Brewer's Best Continental Pilsener, and first time doing a yeast start.

My yeast start was with the Saflager S-23 that came with the kit. I did it 2 days before brewing.
It was my first time doing a 1 hour boil, using new equipment. I followed the directions carefully and as far as I could tell it went well. I did not add anything that did not come with the kit.

I am using the Fastferment insulation jacket and 2L frozen bottles to control temperature. My temp has been consistent with 6 bottles (rotated 3 every day) at 62 degrees.

My question is this...I started the beer on the afternoon of 4/5. Within a few hours I had a VERY active fermentation which was still at 2 blips/minute on my airlock until tonight. It seems to have basically stopped now.

That's only 4 days of "primary" fermentation, right? Is that okay or is my fermentation "stuck"?

Any and all insight is appreciated...thanks!

Airlock activity is not a reliable indicator of fermentation. Many fermenters leak, so airlocks may be inactive even when fermentation is going on. The best way to determine if fermentation has stopped is to take SG measurements. If the SG does not change in readings two days apart, then fermentation is done, or has stopped.

I have had moderate gravity (1.040 - 1.060 OG) beers complete fermentation in four days, so it's entirely possible that your fermentation has finished.

Brew on :mug:

number 1 never trust the bubbles

alwahys use a hydrometer.
number two it is not done yest

number 3 are you using a fast ferment conical.

amd this dan kitty of mine keeps 5ypint ro4m m3

Thanks for your replies...
Yes, I'm am using a FastFerment conical fermenter.
OG was 40, and according to the instructions this beer should finish at FG 9-12 (4-4.5% ABV).

Never trust instructions. Beer will do what it wants to do or yeast will do want it wants to do.

Just took a hydrometer reading, it is at 12.
Please keep in mind that I'm a newb...what do I do now???

Take another reading...if it's the same, remove & empty trub collection ball...then what?

ETA: It tastes pretty good. :)

Last edited:
I'm not sure what is going on with @vrodbrad's kitty, but I digress.

@BubbaMan,

Short version - could be done after 4 days, wait 2 weeks, RDWHAHB

Long version - So if my backward math is correct, you brewed this Thursday or Friday. I have had yeast reach final gravity in 4 days before. In fact, I just kegged a Hefe with WY3638 that did and I have a brown ale with WY1056 in the fermenter that did as well. I brewed them both on a Friday and by Tuesday they were at FG.

I will agree with airlock activity not being the best indicator for fermentation, but it can certainly be used as a tool. I usually expect my airlock activity to start to taper off at day 3-4. This is when I'll bump my temperature controller up two or three degrees to help the yeast finish up.

I believe the yeast are still cleaning up the beer and imparting a flavor profile to the beer this soon after FG is reached though. I would suggest leaving it in the fermenter longer, maybe reducing the 2L bottles your adding to bump the temperature a couple degrees, and test gravity again at the two week mark. I personally don't take 2 or 3 readings right before I package. I take a reading about day four. If it's close to my expected FG, I take another when I package. Others will say you have to take gravity readings 2 days apart to confirm it's stable.

Lastly, RDWHAHB!

EDIT - Did not realize this was a lager yeast. Read advice below regarding temperature.

Last edited:
Maybe everything is ok, maybe not...I'm not sure. Maybe your insight can help.
There are a lot of "firsts" for me this batch. I'm using a FastFerment for the first time, first 5 gallon batch, which is Brewer's Best Continental Pilsener, and first time doing a yeast start.

My yeast start was with the Saflager S-23 that came with the kit. I did it 2 days before brewing.
It was my first time doing a 1 hour boil, using new equipment. I followed the directions carefully and as far as I could tell it went well. I did not add anything that did not come with the kit.

I am using the Fastferment insulation jacket and 2L frozen bottles to control temperature. My temp has been consistent with 6 bottles (rotated 3 every day) at 62 degrees.

My question is this...I started the beer on the afternoon of 4/5. Within a few hours I had a VERY active fermentation which was still at 2 blips/minute on my airlock until tonight. It seems to have basically stopped now.

That's only 4 days of "primary" fermentation, right? Is that okay or is my fermentation "stuck"?

Any and all insight is appreciated...thanks!

When you say you did it 2 days before brewing, was that making a starter?

Your fermentation temperature is a little above the preferred range for that yeast and that will make it work faster. Fermentis recommends temperature between 53.6 and 59. If you were within that range I would expect it to take quite a bit longer. At this point, I'd keep it at the 62 degrees for another couple days, then let it warm to room temp for another 2 to 4 days. If you have the ability, cooling it at this point would be great as that would be "lagering" but if not, leave it at room temp for another week or 2 to let the yeast complete the ferment and settle out before bottling.

@RM-MN

Yes, I did my yeast start 2 days before brew day.

62 degrees was the LOWEST I could achieve with 6 frozen 2L bottles, rotating have of them out every day. This measurement was from a thermometer that was in the fermenter's sampling port, so it was wort temperature, not just ambient temp.

Back