Solidified DME still usable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DerCribben

Reaction score
So yesterday was pretty humid and I had to weigh out a lb of DME from a 3lb bag I had to brew an IPA. The lb I weighed out was going to a blonde ale along with another 3lb bag. Well, I finished my brew and came back in to bag up the lb for today's brew and the top of the DME had solidified.

Is it still useable?

That's why I keep my bags of DME tightly sealed. That stuff is very hydroscopic. Iow,it absorbes moisture very readily. But yeah,just break it up well,maybe with a rolling pin. Then use in the boil so as to kill any nasties that may've gotten in with said moisture.

Excellent! Thanks for the confidence boosting advice. I just had visions of wasting my whole batch by having solid chunks of dme burning on the bottom of my kettle. Turns out it was just a thin crust of solid on the top of the dme so I am even more certain now that it'll work out.

Cheers!:mug:

Back