Soldering a Chillzilla

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techbrewie

Reaction score
Hey All, upgrading my system to herms and taking a huge step this weekend. I'm going all QD's between vessels, pumps, and my chillzilla that I will be using as a counterflow herms coil.

Anyways I will be de-soldering the current fittings on my Chillzilla (all copper CFC) to add copper 1/2" MPT fittings. to all the ins/outs. I'm new to copper pipe soldering, but I've done a TON of electrical soldering so i understand the general concept. any tips for specifically soldering a Chillzilla? Thanks!

When I did mine, I found the wort tubing was smaller diameter than. 1/2 slip/solder fitting, so I screwed on a pipe to the fitting and had a friend hold in place while I filled the gap with solder

But just like soldering a water pipe, clean with wire or sandpaper, flux both pipe and fitting, heat pipe and fitting, maybe fitting first as it will be thicker, touch with solder, will wick in.

Hey did either of you guys have any issues de-soldering the fittings? for the life of my i cant figure out why the solder wont melt.

I did not desolder. If I recall, the solder was gold, so maybe it was brazed which is a higher heat I think.

Back