Solder Q for wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAVET

Reaction score
I am trying to solder together my wort chiller and have encountered a problem. Not a joint one will solder solid. It is as if the solder will not flow into the joint of the elbow and the copper tube. I plumbed my bathroom fine and this didn't happen so I am at a loss as to the problem. Each piece is clean and fluxed. It is lead free solder so I'm not sure if that could be a problem or not but I doubt it as it is the same solder I used in my bathroom. I have a mashtun manifold to do as well and am afraid to start until I can solve the current crisis.

NAVET, did you scuff up the surfaces with a wire brush or emery cloth before applying flux?

you may be getting the copper to hot. there is a point where solder will just bead up and run off.

soldering is pretty easy in theory, it just takes a little practice to get the feel of it. Clean the surfaces to be soldered including the edge too. Make sure your solder hasn't seperated by mixing it up well and apply to inside of fitting and pipe. If the pipe is wet it needs to be dry as steam pressure will push the flux out of the joint. Finally heat up the pipe from the bottom, if you want to be trick when the flux begins to boil off take a rag coated with a little transmission fluid and wipe the joint down to help give a real clean professional look as it prevents the solder from running down the pipe (wear gloves so you don't get burnt), then hit it with heat from the bottom again and apply your solder on the top running around 1/3 the top diameter with the solder. To finish wipe any remaining solder off as it is corrosive over time...of course you are brewing with this so that is a dee-da-dee. If you do all that you will have a pro-looking solder, so hope something in there gives you an idea to try.

I cut off an inch of the wort chiller and tried with a virgin, clean piece of pipe and cleaned the elbow as best I could. Still no luck. Not sure what the issue is. I'm pretty irritated about it so it is time for m e to walk away and have a beer. I'll give it a go later when I have a few beers in me. I need another hose clamp as it is so I'm going to get a new elbow as well. We'll see if a virgin section of tube and elbow makes any difference.
The one that did hold is ugly as can be. BUT it held. so I'm gonna go with it.

What kind of flux is it? The water based stuff seems to burn off really easily. Try not putting any heat where the flux is.

+1 on the white crap. I struggled with this stuff even after figuring out I was overheating the joint.

My last go round the biggest thing was patience. Heat the joint, see if solder melts. repeat until solder melts then just put enough heat to keep it flowing.

and don't use the white crap. :)

I went and looked and the flux was indeed white and water soluble. CRAPTASTIC STUFF IT IS!!!
I wiped it off best as I could and the joints are finally holding. I need to get some hi temp hose so I can check for leaks now.
Thanks for the advice guys.

Just my .02 I had trouble with a can of flux I had used many times before..after much swearing and cleaning..I found out that the flux had separated in my truck..gave it a good stir and PRESTO..good as new..

Back