Sold my bike today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedOktoberfest

Reaction score
Just sold my bike today. SWMBO was never a fan, but I had it before we moved in together so she didn't have much to say about it. I'm kinda bitter-sweet about it. Didn't ride too much anymore but damn it was a blast! :rockin:

motorcycle.JPG

Sorry for your loss, i've ridden since i was a little guy, minibikes, dirtbikes, street bikes. I had about 2 years i didn't have a bike but for the last 30 or so it's been a constance, sport bikes, Harleys i have a couple of Buells at the moment that i LOVE.
Be safe, ride the SHMBO hard and don't forget the love for two wheels!

"What you do here is you buy a cruiser because they're safer."
How's that?

I think he was joking....

OP, I've had bikes my whole life on and off. It can be hard to see them go, but you can always buy another. I sold my last sport bike after my son was born 3.5 years ago because of some outside pressure and I thought it was what I "should do." I still had a Harley though. Recently, I realized that it wasn't necessarily irresponsible to have a sport bike. I sold the Harley and got myself a brand new 600rr and I'm loving every second of it.

Oh everybody knows cruisers are safer. It's only those sports bikes that are dangerous. All doing wheelies and stuff. And driving real fast. They all speed and weave in and out of lanes. And they do it shirtless with no helmet and flip-flops.

But cruisers are nice and slow. And safe. Fine, upstanding people ride cruisers; like dentists.

Been there man. I have a triumph cafe racer now that I don't ride much. 3 y/o little girl takes precedence. I'm lucky. Swmbo tells me to go ride and I try but just to busy. I've put it on craigslist but take it down before it goes. I just cant do it. I did sell my r6 after the baby though.

Zuljin said:
Oh everybody knows cruisers are safer. It's only those sports bikes that are dangerous. All doing wheelies and stuff. And driving real fast. They all speed and weave in and out of lanes. And they do it shirtless with no helmet and flip-flops.

But cruisers are nice and slow. And safe. Fine, upstanding people ride cruisers; like dentists.

Ha!

Thanks for the support guys. At this point it is really just a time issue. A new handyman special house a 1 year old and another on the way have my hands full for now. I'm sure I'll get another "some day". :rockin:

I'd love to get some throttle bodies off a GSX for my 2.0L probe. Those are a popular mod for the 4 & 6 cylinder Mazda engines. Then of course,I'll need CF velocity stacks molded into a CF airbox that seals against a Subi WRX hood scoop & some Colt Cams to go with. That probe would sound more like the 4 rotor Mazda 787GTP.

I feel your pain OP. I loved riding and finally had the means to purchase my dream bike. 2004 600RR. Loved every minute of that bike. I had it for roughly 5 years until I married, purchased a house, and finally expecting my first child. My girl and home took my time and I ended up selling to get a damn mower. Yes a John Deere mower. Thats when I knew it was all over. But all is well that ends well and although you'll miss it, it will be worth it. I'll have another bike again when she is older as I'm sure you will.

EHV said:
I feel your pain OP. I loved riding and finally had the means to purchase my dream bike. 2004 600RR. Loved every minute of that bike. I had it for roughly 5 years until I married, purchased a house, and finally expecting my first child. My girl and home took my time and I ended up selling to get a damn mower. Yes a John Deere mower. Thats when I knew it was all over. But all is well that ends well and although you'll miss it, it will be worth it. I'll have another bike again when she is older as I'm sure you will.

This is my mind set exactly. :mug:

Just did the exact same thing a month ago. Had my r6 for 4 years, loved that bike but didnt do a whole lot of riding it much anymore. Decided to sell it...turns out it was EXACTLY 4 years to the day from when I bought it to when I sold it...

I'd love to get some throttle bodies off a GSX for my 2.0L probe. Those are a popular mod for the 4 & 6 cylinder Mazda engines. Then of course,I'll need CF velocity stacks molded into a CF airbox that seals against a Subi WRX hood scoop & some Colt Cams to go with. That probe would sound more like the 4 rotor Mazda 787GTP.

lol, this is a homebrew forum :mug:

m3n00b said:
Great decision OP! I wish my dead friends would have sold their bikes. :(

I'm sorry for your losses.

There are some people that are more comfortable living in a bubble and others that aren't "living" unless they are flying in a bat suit skimming off the edges of cliffs (Jeb Corliss sp?). I think both extremes are nuts and choose to live comfortably in the middle somewhere.

I certainly do not presume to imply any of your friends rode unsafely but I have seen several maneuvers that I never had much interest in attempting. I racked up a lot of miles on my commute and morning traffic can be scary for sure. My riding was more about "man and machine" rather than showing off which is how I have herd several bad stories start out.

I'm sorry for your losses.

There are some people that are more comfortable living in a bubble and others that aren't "living" unless they are flying in a bat suit skimming off the edges of cliffs (Jeb Corliss sp?). I think both extremes are nuts and choose to live comfortably in the middle somewhere.

I certainly do not presume to imply any of your friends rode unsafely but I have seen several maneuvers that I never had much interest in attempting. I racked up a lot of miles on my commute and morning traffic can be scary for sure. My riding was more about "man and machine" rather than showing off which is how I have herd several bad stories start out.

I'm sure most MC vs car accidents are not the MC's fault at all. The way people drive in cars(especially around here) is ridiculous. Car drivers don't care at all to pay attention to other drivers/riders. I used to ride but I think it would be terrifying to do my commute on a bike because of the stuff I see cars do.

OP,

I'm also strongly considering selling my bike. I've been riding a sports bike for the last 18 years with only a few breaks. I have two small kids now and don't have time to ride for fun anymore. The only time I get to ride really is to work and I-270 is not really fun plus the weather sucks usually. It's interesting how priorities change when you have kids... I am sure I'll get another bike in some 10 years or so.

Here's to more brewing! :mug: :tank:

Sorry to hear your loss, i recently went through a 3 year hiatus from riding, got burnt out on it being a daily commuter and also moving across states to new digs and new jobs really just left me no time. but that 3 year hiatus was probably the best thing for me. I just got my old bike running again and started riding it last week. I feel like a new man on it and having to relearn all the stuff that used to just come as second nature is actually quite fulfilling and rewarding.

Bikes will always be there and i hope you return to it someday but sometimes life just gets in the way.

Now you ought to by yourself a custom road bicycle :)

Don't listen to this guy, nothing sadder than seeing a grown man with shaved legs in spandex :)

Sorry for having to give it up, sorrier that you had to give it up due to outside pressure. In my young 20's my buddy and I bought older cruisers, fixed them up, road them, and then found another. Then one day I decided it was too dangerous and I like life too much so I set it aside and haven't ridden since.

Back