soil amendment for planting new rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckinWA

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm going to plant some rhizomes this spring, and I'm wondering what I should do to the soil beforehand. Here's my idea, lacking any real knowledge of what I SHOULD do:

1. Dig hole about 3 feet in diameter and 1 foot deep for each rhizome.
2. Fill said hole with potting soil or yard topsoil
3. Add some plant food at the rate recommended on the container
4. Water well
5. Watch for growth

Am I on track here or off base? If it matters, I live in western Washington and the soil in the yard has a high clay content. It's sunny in my proposed spot from late morning until sunset.

How much water and how often?

Thanks!

Sounds like you're on track to growing some good hops. I have mine set up with a trickle hose that waters them constantly. If I was using a hose, I'd say once a day, or as they need it.

You should backfill with the native soil, not topsoil, and definately not potting soil.

I did this in Oklahoma for my first round.

I found the clay content of the soil effectively trapped water from rains and served as a below grade bog. My plants were not happy to have wet feet. I literally had to trench away from the holes so I could dip the water out after a rain. That got old really quick.

Built them a raised bed with imported soil and now, I can't hold them back.

You should backfill with the native soil, not topsoil, and definately not potting soil.

Agreed. Just mix in some fertilizer with the native soil. I covered mine with peat moss too and it helped hold in the moister very well.

I can agree with this depending on where you live. If you have poor soil though, the addition of top soil and fertilizer may help. I have good soil, so I don't use anything other than a little manure mixed into the soil.

dig hole 3 foot deep,fill it with compost,straw,leaves and compost. water it,let it settle and add more. till its a mound. as you fill it mix in some of the dirt you dug out. and first of spring start a compost pile with all the yard clippings for next year.

I can agree with this depending on where you live. If you have poor soil though, the addition of top soil and fertilizer may help. I have good soil, so I don't use anything other than a little manure mixed into the soil.

A low-nitrogen fertilizer will help. He said he has clay soil (kinda like here in GA), so here's the catch: If you're going to add topsoil you need to dig a really big hole (wide, not deep). Otherwise, you create a soil texture interface between the native soil and the amended backfill soil that will inhibit water movement, root growth and oxygen permeability.
If I were you, I'd just do a really good job breaking up the native soil, plant, and spread mulch over the top.

Try mixing your native soil & organic matter like compost, or potting soil at a 50/50 ratio. You could also add some manure to the mix, but you want to keep the ratio low to avoid nitrogen burn. If you know anyone who raises rabbits, ask them for a few pounds of bunny nuggets to mix in. Rabbit manure doesn't burn. After planting, I'd water in those new rhizomes with an indole 3 butyric acid mix: http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/biopesticides/ingredients/factsheets/factsheet_046701.htm It's often sold as "root stimulator" or "rooting hormone" & sometimes as "vitamin B-1," but you should check the ingredients as some "vitamin B-1" products don't contain indole 3. You might also try adding organic humates to your soil: http://www.happyplant.net/ They can really make a difference. Regards, GF.

+1 on manure and leaves = instant compost. Your plants and beer will thank you later.

Dig a DEEP hole now 2+ feet x 3 feet wide ( you need well drained soil) and fill with sandy soil without too much clay, finely chopped leaves and grass clippings if you still have any.

Throw some rotted manure in and turn over really good. Also check your soils PH balance ( close to 7). Add lime if below this. Mound it up, like a raised bed. Cover with some more leaves and a piece of plastic and let it sit. Trust me I had 10 foot tall sunflowers lastsummer.

Also, This pile will heat up. Its natures fermentation process to convert all the leaves ( carbon ) to useable nutrients for the vines. Just like brewing and fermenting your own beer.

You cant replace nature when feeding your plants. Its better for the plant or vine and better for you. Commercial fertilizer is just a quick fix. This is alot better for the health of any plant.

Turn this every week after about 2 weeks of sitting for best and fastest results. You dont want to transplant when your pile is still hot. It WILL KILL your transplant. The temps will go down after a couple months, maybe sooner. So will your pile, it will breakdown and shrink. Add some more sandy soil if needed. Sprinkle some more lime if needed. Turning will help alot (dont forget about it!).

Make sure you install a very tall trellis! Do an internet search. A simple wire or string trellis will work. Find a tall tree with high primary limbs or tall pole. The tree method works, but the trees roots may rob nutrients from your soil and compost bed. Or build your own trellis if you can go high enough. If using a tree step back about 15- 20 foot away to the south from base of tree and angle trellis up to tree about 20- 30 degrees to the north. this will help the vine find the sunlight traveling through the daylight sky and helps the plant wrap itself around the string or wire. Anchor some string to the ground around your transplant and attach other end to the tree or pole about 15-25 up. Make one vine run up one string or do multiple strings like a big fan. You will need one long raised soil bed for this to plant more than one vine. Its up to you. Its all trial and error. Youll figure it out.

When your ready to put in your Hop Roots turn all that goodness together one last time. You may want to add more sandy loam at this time. You dont want it too wet and heavy. the plants wont get any oxygen and may die from fungus and mold. I like to use a rooting hormone when setting my transplants. It helps the plant develope new roots faster than just transplanting without.

When your vines hit about 2 foot this spring mulch with some hay( this is the key ), lots and keep it fluffy. Dont use leaves or anything that compacts down. This helps with all plants.
Sit with a homebrew and watch them grow!

Wow, thanks for the extensive reply Behemoth! I guess i should get started on my beds pronto if they are to be ready for planting in spring.

I'm in southern California, and I got some rhizomes last year which ended up in small pots. I intended to plant them in the ground, but was pretty busy, so they're still in pots right now.

Today I noticed some shoots coming up, and figured this was a signal to get busy planting these hops.

I figured to dig a hole for each and combine some of my soil with some compost and some miracle grow soil.

Anyone else growing hops here in southern California?

I'm in Southern California. This will be my first year growing, I've got 6 of them on order right now. I've got 2 each of Cascade, Chinook, and Magnum. I'm at a rental house, so I can't do too much in the way of a trellis system. I'm thinking of just digging some good sized holes along the back of the house and attaching eye hooks with strings up to the eves of the house. Did you have much luck growing in this area last year?

Kentucky here. Mine are probably coming up again, we've had some freakish weather (as usual)..........................say....that's my post from last year right up there............... slow thread;)

Well, that is great info Glen, but I am not going to dig up my 3rd year plants;)!!

I guess just dress the soil above with the same mix of stuff?

Back