Softer Bittering. 60 vs 30min 1st addition.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambleside

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone had any thoughts on a new technique for me.

I've brewed a few pale ales, I like to know the hops are there and in my face, but I'm not a fan of the harsh bitterness of 60min additions, even when I use a lower level co-hum. hop.

But I recently did a all late hopped (15,10,5,DH) 55ish IBU and was left desiring a bit more "bite".

Do you think a 30 min first addition would meet me in the middle?

Cheers guys!

I was just just going to mention FWH actually! I haven't tried, but am going to, but figured that would still give me the really soft bitter, and not so much in the middle like I'm looking for.

Try a fwh. It provides about 10% more ibu but they are perceived as less ibu than a boil addition. I use fwh is my session ipa but a big 90 minute addition in my dipa because I want more of a aggressive bittering.

I'm definitely going to be doing a FWH, **** ton of late hopping and DH, but as for my early kettle addition, I'm still unsure. Would a 30 or 45 be a good compromise to strike a middle ground between a 60 and an all late hopped?

:mug:

How big is the beer? I fwh and whirlpool/flame out hop my session ipa with no boil additions at all. If want something in the middle then maybe 20 or 30 minute addition.

How big is the beer? I fwh and whirlpool/flame out hop my session ipa with no boil additions at all. If want something in the middle then maybe 20 or 30 minute addition.

Its a 1.076 OG, just over 8%ABV, so I feel I need some bittering.

Ahh. Yes, you are right. I brew a 9.5% dipa with 90 minute, 15 minute and whirlpool hops. It works out great. So maybe fwh and then 20 minutes. Then follow it up with the rest of your late hops.

To brew great ipa you just have to remember that buying hops by the pound is mandatory and then using those pounds as if they were ounces is critical.

Ahh. Yes, you are right. I brew a 9.5% dipa with 90 minute, 15 minute and whirlpool hops. It works out great. So maybe fwh and then 20 minutes. Then follow it up with the rest of your late hops.

To brew great ipa you just have to remember that buying hops by the pound is mandatory and then using those pounds as if they were ounces is critical.

Thanks!

Great, that sounds like it would work well. FWH, 25-20min~, then loads of 5-0min, Hop stand, and a few stages of Dry hops.

Its a new zealand/australian DIPA, so I've got a pound of each to play with.

Only thing I'm worried about is my ferm temp... no chamber, and my ambient is 67 degrees using conan yeast. will have to rig up a swamp cooler for the first days of fermentation i think.

what type of new zealand australian hops are they?

67 should be ok with the swamp cooler. do you have the strip on thermometers on your fermenter? if not you should. it will give you an idea of where your temps are at inside that thing. just keep a close eye on it, checking maybe like twice a day, in the morning to see how cool it's gotten, and in the evening to see how warm it's gotten. you definitely don't want this thing getting ruined by off-flavors. although i'm sure all those hops will mask a little bit. to help you really figure out your sg:bu ratio, i would check out this site. it gives you a little more accurate equation on what to expect for perceived bitterness.
http://www.madalchemist.com/relative_bitterness.html

Latest posts

Back