Soft yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Sarber

Unindicted Co-conspirator
Reaction score
Several of my last batches had a soft yeast problem. First pour from a bomber is great, but second pour is yucky. One batch was a saison, another was a scotch ale, and an imperial stout. One batch I used gelatin for fining, the others got half a whilrlfloc tab. Bombers average a 1/4" of yeast that is not settling. Previously, didn't use any fining, and didn't have this problem(but I had cloudy beers!). Is dropping the whilrlfloc the answer?

Several of my last batches had a soft yeast problem. First pour from a bomber is great, but second pour is yucky. One batch was a saison, another was a scotch ale, and an imperial stout. One batch I used gelatin for fining, the others got half a whilrlfloc tab. Bombers average a 1/4" of yeast that is not settling. Previously, didn't use any fining, and didn't have this problem(but I had cloudy beers!). Is dropping the whilrlfloc the answer?
What exactly do you mean not settling? Like not compacting in bottle?

Whirlfloc just binds and removes protein on chilling the wort post boil, it doesn't have any effect on yeast down the road. Hence your clearer beer (colloidal haze addressed) but "fluffy bottoms" (actual brewing term) not explained. One suspect eliminated.

Whirlfloc just binds and removes protein on chilling the wort post boil, it doesn't have any effect on yeast down the road. Hence your clearer beer (colloidal haze addressed) but "fluffy bottoms" (actual brewing term) not explained. One suspect eliminated.
What exactly do you mean not settling? Like not compacting in bottle?

Yes, not settling. Tilt the bottle, the yeast layer moves. With carbonation, second pour is yeast slurry.

Yes, not settling. Tilt the bottle, the yeast layer moves. With carbonation, second pour is yeast slurry.
Ok. That’s not a problem at all. Let the bottles sitting cold In the fridge for a week and the yeast will compact

Reading your post it come across as using the whirlfloc for fining before bottling. You are using it 15 minutes before end of boil correct? How many days is your beer conditioning in the bottle before going into the fridge for a few days? I always do my full pour into my glass or glasses. I never pour part as it will stir up the yeast.

I can't see how whirlfloc or gelatin could be the culprit, unless you're getting lots of the trub from the fermenter into the bottles.
What yeast strains? Some compact better than others.
Also, what's your water like? Ale yeasts like a decent amount of Ca++ to really sink and stay sunk.
But, 1/4" is about right to leave in the bottom of a bomber when pouring homebrew with less flocculent strains. You could always pour the whole bomber at once as well (leaving 1/4" or so behind), so the yeast doesn't get disturbed by tipping the bottle upright again.

Some yeast will not settle at the bottom no matter what, as this is one of their traits. However, every yeast, no matter how powdery and unstable, should be able to get to the bottom and stay there until you have poured 95% of your beer and then start flowing into the glass. You can try 100+ ppm Ca in the mash and try to leave as much trub/gunk in the kettle. But seeing that you pour twice from a bottle, you will never get a clean second pour, unless you are using Fullers yeast or Nottingham, as in yeast that just stick to the bottom and don't let go. Also, you can use smaller bottles so you can pour the whole beer at once in one go/glass.

That's why a bottle should be emptied into the glass in one slow and steady pour, leaving the last two or three sips behind, together with the yeast.

If you pour twice, this doesn't work.

Well, I guess I need bigger glasses or smaller bottles!. Yes, I'm adding the whilrlfloc during the last 10 minutes of the boil. For the saison, I used BE-134. For the Scottish, I used muntons gold., For the imperial stout, US-05, all dry yeasts. I have used these yeasts before with these recipes, with no problems.
I carbonate in the bottle for a minimum of two weeks. No problems with soft yeast until I started using the whilrlfloc.
The "outlier" is a batch of high grav tripel I brewed using WY-1214, it settled down with no problems.

EDIT: I use RO water with added calcium sulfate and/or calcium chloride. Usually throw in a servomyces tab too (@15).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back