sodium metabisuplhate fumes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dazza001

Reaction score
Hello Everybody,

Does anyone else use Sodium Metabisuplhate to sanitize their equipment?

I bought a container of it with my first brew and I have been using it since then.
The instructions say add 1 teaspoon to 1 pint water for a solution then wash everything with it.

However the fumes that it gives off are unbelievable, it really chokes.

I've tried everything from being in a well ventilated room to holding my breath, but its really unpleasant, and its the only bit of brewing that I do not like.

Is there anything else that I could use that isnt as horrible or are all sanitizers like this?

Cheers

I don't use it to sanitize, but I own some for wine making. I never noticed any fumes from it, but maybe that's just me.

Anyway.... I use Iodophor for sanitizing and love it. It has a slight odor, but nothing that is going to make you choke for sure.

Lots of people here use Star San, which is also supposed to be really great.

I use StarSan. 1 oz per 5 Gal sanitizes without need for rinsing. I mix up a spray bottle and keep it on hand for brewing, bottling, racking, etc.

Its not a great sanitiser as it not effective on all types of bacteria and merely stuns them. It is good to use on equipment after it has been sanitised with bleach and rinsed as it will neutralise the chlorine, not only that but it will keep a sealed fermenter sweet for a week after using it. Its also good for storing hydrometers in (I use a soda bottle), a few drops wont harm if it gets in the beer, infact is often used as a preservative in beer and food products.
The fumes can be a bit strong although if its mixed in the correct concentration, tsp/imperial pint its quite bearable.

dazza001 said:
cheers folks, I will look for those in the shop next time.
You'll struggle to buy Star San or Iodophor in the UK for sensible money. Sulphates are the easier way to do an almost 'no rinse' solution if you want to use them that way but heed DAAB's advise. Just remember that it's nasty stuff if you get near it - stand back and breathe away when mixing it, the fumes subside quickly.

UK homebrew shops do charge alot of money for iodophor fortunately its not a product exclusive to hb shops ;)

It can be purchased from your local chemist as 'Standardised Betadine Antiseptic Solution (aqueous)' for around £3 per 500ml. The dilution is 1/4-1/2 a tsp per litre far less than some companys suggest on their bottles:mad: Stronger dilutions are not only heading away from being a no rinse sanitiser but due to there being less free iodine available in stronger dilutions its less effective (no I dont fully understand why :p )

The use of bleach and sodium met shouldnt be under estimated though, they are very handy to have around and very effective particularly when used in conjunction with each other.

DAAB said:
It can be purchased from your local chemist as 'Standardised Betadine Antiseptic Solution (aqueous)' for around £3 per 500ml.
Ahh! povidone iodine! It's even cheaper if you buy it at an equine/dairy suppliers. I've read up on it and thought it's a bit dodgy, 'No rinse' isn't UK approved for food processing/preparation so I'd rather not bother risk it.
DAAB said:
The use of bleach and sodium met shouldnt be under estimated though, they are very handy to have around and very effective particularly when used in conjunction with each other.
Careful using the word 'bleach' around here;)
Sodium Metabisulphite is great for wine making - I wouldn't be without it!:)

Betadine is widey used in homebrewing cirlcles mate, its the same stuff as in the HB shops. Its been thouroughly researched, pondered, disected and re-researched, including discussions with Seaton the manufacturer by members on the UK Homebrew forum.
Not sure what is in the stuff suppied by the dairy/equine industry is but if thats not suitable for food use then its not the same stuff.

Caplan said:
Just remember that it's nasty stuff if you get near it - stand back and breathe away when mixing it, the fumes subside quickly.

Save yourself the headache and build yourself this little helper.

Wild

I like the sound of Betadine Antiseptic Solution/povidone iodine especially the no rinse bit as that is always a bit of a concern, eg sterilise the equipment and then rinse it with water from a standard tap, I will get some of that I think.

Maybe the gas mask idea as suggested by Wild might be an idea though, although I dont what the wife would say if she walked in on me wearing that :D

Anyway thanks a lot for all your suggestions, this forum is a godsend.

DAAB said:
Betadine is widey used in homebrewing cirlcles mate, its the same stuff as in the HB shops. Its been thouroughly researched, pondered, disected and re-researched, including discussions with Seaton the manufacturer by members on the UK Homebrew forum.
Not sure what is in the stuff suppied by the dairy/equine industry is but if thats not suitable for food use then its not the same stuff.
Not to burst any bubbles, but Betadine, which is Poviodine-Iodine, is NOT the same thing as Iodophor. They are different strengths and contain different additives.

Is it safe to use in homebrewing? I don't know the final answer on that, but after working in medicine for 20 years, I know I certainly wouldn't use Betadine on anything I intended on ingesting.

Its widely documented that Betadine Solution (and not Betadine Scrub, Betadine being a consumer name) is an Iodophor and that an Iodophor is a preparation containing iodine complexed with a solubilizing agent, such as a surfactant or povidone.

Perhaps you could elaborate as to why you dont recommend Betadine solution which is an Iodophor, as a no rinse sanitizer when diluted to the appropriate concentration where as Iodophor is suitable as a no rinse sanitizer?

Back