soaking days in iodophore

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justenoughforme

Reaction score
Is there any harm in just leaving my carboy filled to the brim in iodophore for like a week between batches ?

then re use that iodophore as a rinse and clean for tubes etc on brew day ?

I use Star San now, but I used to use Iodophore. Iodophore is not good after about 24 hours being diluted. The concentrated stuff has a long shelf life. Also be aware that it can stain plastic. I've still got a bunch of tubing that has that rust/red iodophore color. I don't know if there are any staining issues with say Better Bottles or the like.

i'm using "made in italy" six gallon glass carboys (for wine supposedly). i wasnt' planning on using my plastic bucket at all.

... but thanks, i'll mix the iodophore fresh each brew day

I left Iodophor in a glass growler for like a month once.
While you couldn't taste it, it smelled like Iodophor for many months. Even after many fills and cleanings.

+2 ran a quick search and lots of info saying 12-24hrs once diluted before becoming ineffective.
Iodophore seems to turn all plastic that reddish brown color, I swear it slowly made the tubing I soaked hard.

One more thing ...
... i get that the disinfecting power of the iodophore is gone so dont use it as a rinse.

... but leaving it a few days in the carboy with the airlock should maintain a sterile environment as long as the airlock is solid ... right ?

i use a steam sanitize setting on my dishwasher for everything else.

One more thing ...
... i get that the disinfecting power of the iodophore is gone so dont use it as a rinse.

... but leaving it a few days in the carboy with the airlock should maintain a sterile environment as long as the airlock is solid ... right ?

To my knowledge yes.

I use Idophor a lot, and leaving it for a few days is generally OK providing it stays brown.

After a few days it is done.

I kept it for a month in a 1 gallon glass jug. I assumed everything would be sterile from the start. When I pulled the bung, there was mold growing over it. Only the bung was sacrificed. Never had anything alike that before; I keep everything filled with bleach and no issues ..... first time I store idophor (diluted of course), I get mold.

I would not trust Idophor after a few days and would smell it to see if it has an iodine aroma.

i made up new and sloshed the carboy in new solution three or four times during my boil.

better safe than sorry.

thanks for everyone's help

Back