So.. your neighbor comes by and drinks one of your beers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smccarter

Reaction score
And it's a fresh keg. A simple, but very enjoyable recipe, and you say... "I think this is the best beer I brew."

His reaction.... "Really?!?!.... this isn't my favorite."

You know what went into the beer you brewed. It's a balanced beer.

What is your thought at that moment?

And it's a fresh keg. A simple, but very enjoyable recipe, and you say... "I think this is the best beer I brew."

My thought: I'd stop giving him my good homebrew. Let him enjoy his BMC.

If your neighbor doenst know what good beer taste like then screw him. He may like a light lager you make only. Id ask him if he knew what style your beer was and if he had drank that style before. Don't let it get you down. Maybe don't offer it also if it is something they haven't tried, but you never know a lot of people can be turned on by homebrew or a something they never tried.

People are gonna say whatever they are gonna say.

I hand some of my beers out or take them to be tasted and I never know what the reaction will be until it's all said and done.

I guess if you feel free to judge what you think of a beer, so can your neighbor. I know I ask people to tell me what they really think.

Has he tasted some of your other beer and that really wasn't his favorite?

I personally hate giving homebrew to people who don't drink homebrew or craft beer for that matter. I've made beers that I thought were great and given them to neighbors/family and it's always a different response. Part of the reason I think is because they don't really drink craft beers.

It's hard but sometime you just gotta bit your tongue and know that what you got is actually good beer. I personally try not to give out my homebrew to people who I know don't drink craftbeer/homebrew because no matter what style of beer it is I no they won't like it

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

and I can't stand the obnoxious responses from people who don't drink that kinda beer. Hahahah sorry for venting!! Good luck. Great topic tho

Some of you are wound to tight for the true spirit of this hobby. Unless you are entering your brew in a competition - who cares what others think if you like it?

That happens often, I think.

My buddy loves porters and that's his favorite style. He brews a great porter, as a matter of fact. If I hand him a DIPA, he will enjoy it (a lot!) but it's not his favorite. He might prefer my oatmeal stout.

So what? I don't like green tea, but many people do. Different people have different preferences.

I like to share my homebrew when I get the chance. I've gotten responses all over the board. I've had two people taste the same beer side by side and gotten totally different descriptions. From a homebrews perspective, I can understand the love of beer. I would like to think that a person who brews their own beer most likely has an affinity for many styles. If a buddy offers me a beer that is a style I don't like, I still drink it. I let them know that I'm not really a fan of the style itself... but still try to taste what they have created and give them an opinion though.

On the other hand. A person who isn't into beer is going to drink for a completely different reason. Their taste in what they like may have a very narrow band. I actually enjoy letting those people sample my beer the most because I get a non beer lovers opinion. I like hearing their description, and keep it in mind. Someday I end up brewing something that I think they may like, and let them try that. Its kind of a fun little game to me, and I think this can bring a homebrewer into the mindset professional brewer. Or at least give a homebrewer a glimpse of what its like to be a professional brewer.

[edit]
I even made a recipe specifically for a friend that I called "The Duarte"

My friend only really likes the BMC type stuff, so I thought it would actually be fun to brew a batch for him. Just to see if I could produce something that was "his" style. I priced the recipe out. $12 bucks.

I personally hate giving homebrew to people who don't drink homebrew or craft beer for that matter. I've made beers that I thought were great and given them to neighbors/family and it's always a different response. Part of the reason I think is because they don't really drink craft beers.

It's hard but sometime you just gotta bit your tongue and know that what you got is actually good beer. I personally try not to give out my homebrew to people who I know don't drink craftbeer/homebrew because no matter what style of beer it is I no they won't like it

This is pretty much why Im the only one that drinks my beer. Besides my wife who is pregnant anc cant drink my beer right now (that's ok, I will drink it for her) which she really likes most of the time.

Hahahaha hey I feel ya. Couple of my friends homebrew we brew together and swap beers and were alway honest with each other about our beers. Long story short people who don't drink craft/homebrew don't no sh*t!!

"Not my favorite" isn't exactly offensive or derogatory. There are so many styles of beer, and takes on each style. Maybe the guy really knows his beer, but isn't a huge fan of whatever style you poured. Doesn't mean you should flip out, cut him off, and label him a BMC drinker like that means something.

Heck, I can't stand hop bombs. You could hand me what turns out to be the unanimously voted best IPA of all time throughout the multiverse, and I'm not going to like it as half much as I would even a middling stout.

There certain people who like blue/bud light and that's what they think good beer and those are the people who you can't take there criticism seriously

Just because it's not his favorite doesn't mean it's not good. Maybe he doesn't like DIPA's but doesn't mean Pliny is a bad beer etc...

Could be worse. He could decide your brew is his favorite and hang out drinking it till the keg kicks. I brew IPAs that my son in law won't drink to keep from prematurely running out of beer.

On the serious side, you know whether you brewed a well-crafted beer. I would not take the comment by the neighbor personally. I had a Yeti Espresso aged in oak Saturday. I thought it was a fine example of the brewers art. My son in law said it was not his favorite. My wife does not like Belgians (the beer not the people). A Westmalle Tripel tastes like a bad beer to her. As homebrewers, we develop a pretty good palate for judging our own beers. We taste to find and minimize flaws. Trust your palate. Shrug off the perceived criticism. Ask him to bring his favorite and share.

You know, craft beer and home brew beer are just in a league of there own. I've had people tell me that the best beer out there is BUSH Beer. And they even have a legitimate reason for it. The craft is not for everyone. Brewing beer is as much of an Art as it is a hobby. Not everyone understands the work of an artist. I have another buddy who calls all my brews "Fancy" beer. I take that as a compliment. But I know he enjoys them so I'll pour em up for him. But for the neighbor who I only see sipping on Natty Ice whilst mowing the lawn... if he wants a beer I'll pop open a Bud Light for him.

My thought would be that he must have different tastes in beer, and I get on with my life.

There's only one person who has to like my homebrew - me. SWMBO is a distant second.

Sent from my iPad using Home B

If your neighbor has tried some of your other beers, I take it that he prefers some of your other offerings over the present beer. Perhaps he's taking it even a step further and suggesting that the beer in question is not really to his taste.

It's nice to receive the affirmation of others when you share something that you created, but if it bothers you to share something without getting that affirmation, you're probably better off not sharing it in the first place.

He said it's not his favorite. I get varying reactions on my beers. Some people I share with only like wheat beers. Some only like beers that are heavy and flavorful, some only like beers that are low in alcohol (both in perception and ABV). Everyone obviously has their favorites.

The fact that he responded with "Really?!" so emphatically could be taken negatively, but think of it like this... first of all, one of your other beers were memorable enough for him to remember it. Secondly, there was such a drastic difference between another beer of yours that he tasted, and it shows that you're not just brewing muddy flavored beer that tastes all the same. Thirdly, he has an opinion on beer! I love to give people beer and hear their opinion on it, whether it's mine or not. I don't care if they're not a beer judge, it's still fun to hear opinions.

I do understand the frustration of brewing a beer that people don't like for one reason or another. It's just the way things are. At the end of the day though, you shouldn't need to explain why a person should like your beer. It's like telling people that farmhouse ales usually taste a little funky. Unless they're trying to understand the style for brewing, judging, or enjoyment, they know what they like. Just because something is supposed to be a certain way it really doesn't mean people will enjoy it.

Another thing to consider is that some people have poor palate memory and poor tasting skills. I've done tests before with people where I have them taste a beer and give me their opinions, then have them taste it in a day or two and some will give me completely different results...and I mean it can range from a person telling me the beer is way too sweet and turning around and saying it's way to bitter. People are a mixed bag...

Normally I ask what they normally drink/like and steer them from there. My most popular, Blonde Ale, what I view as my best is a dark ale. While some of my friends like it, the blonde always go the quickest. So I wouldn't worry about it if someone didnt care for it.

Some of you are wound to tight for the true spirit of this hobby. Unless you are entering your brew in a competition - who cares what others think if you like it?

I've had this problem. However, my thinking has changed.

I now focus - I do this to brew beer that I like, and to find the best recipes for me. I will, however, go out of my way to brew something my wife likes, or at times I will brew something in style for friends or family.

However, if I haven't made something specifically for someone or a group of someones, I try my best not to care if they like it. Yeah, I'd like for everyone to like everything I brew, but that won't happen.

If my neighbor dislikes my brew, despite the blood, sweat, and tears (or water, hops, and barley... and tears) I put into it, I smile and give him one of the next batch if he wants to try it.

Can't change his tastes or his thinking, only my own. :tank:

It would not bother me at all. If he doesn't like it then he doesn't like it. Find out what he likes and brew that if you're trying to accommodate.

Some people have little manners. Our Mamas taught us "if you cannot say something nice, don't say anything". I strive to be polite with guests in my home. I likely would have tried to provide him with something more to his liking while silently thinking "you can't fix stupid".

Oh that reminds me I need to pick up a sixer of Shiner Bock for the next time little girl's boyfriend comes to visit.

My thought would be to ask him "Well, which is your favorite?" I have several beers that I make that I think are well made examples of their style that aren't my favorite. The wheat beer that I just sent to NHC is the best pale beer I've ever made, and I'm going to make at least 20 gallons of it for the summer time. However, I traditionally don't drink much of it (my wife, friends, and festivals get the bulk of it). On the other hand, my coffee stout recipe is one of my favorites and a recipe that I've made at least twice a year since 1995 (with tweaks here and there), so it's one of the best beers I brew, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I've had this problem. However, my thinking has changed.

I now focus - I do this to brew beer that I like, and to find the best recipes for me. I will, however, go out of my way to brew something my wife likes, or at times I will brew something in style for friends or family.

However, if I haven't made something specifically for someone or a group of someones, I try my best not to care if they like it. Yeah, I'd like for everyone to like everything I brew, but that won't happen.

If my neighbor dislikes my brew, despite the blood, sweat, and tears (or water, hops, and barley... and tears) I put into it, I smile and give him one of the next batch if he wants to try it.

Can't change his tastes or his thinking, only my own. :tank:

I agree with this, as far as my homebrew goes its ALL about me being my wife doesn't drink period. But I do like to share with others, craft and non-craft drinkers alike. Sometimes they like them sometimes they don't I usually have a few Millers on hand just in case. To be honest I like the scepticism as long as the person has some knowledge of different beer styles and tastes. Otherwise.. grab them a Miller lol

Sent from my SCH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

I live in a small town and have a good sense of who drinks craft beer versus who drinks lite beer. The craft drinkers (mostly my fam and the club members) will give me an honest assessment and know what to look for in color, smell and taste. With the lite drinkers i tend to start off saying, "you might not like this", but also, if I have a Cream Ale or Centennial Blond i will offer it as an alternative to a darker more robust beer.

I feel like you have to keep the context of the situation. I gave one of co workers a sixer to take home one weekend and he came back to work telling me it tasted exactly like Bud Light. From him, that's a damn good compliment. It didn't taste like that to me, but I was happy nonetheless

Jupapabear

I don't see the problem. He didn't say he didn't like your beer. He said it wasn't his favorite. It wasn't the ONE beer that he liked above all others. Big deal. I make a lot of different beers and NONE of them are my favorite. If I had a favorite, it probably wouldn't be most of them.

So did you ask him what his favorite is?

I know how you feel.

I wouldn't hold it against your neighbor. Hell, I gave my neighbors (two, different neighbors) half-a-case each of assorted home brews. While they both drank every beer, one of them texted me and told me his two favorite beers are Corona and Shock Top. Fine.

I'll be brewing a beer similar to Shock Top early this summer so I can give him the entire batch. He just got a new, sick in-ground pool and I'd like to bring some beer over the first day it opens for business. :D

Normally I ask what they normally drink/like and steer them from there.

This ^ right here.

I never just blindly hand someone one of my brews and hope for the best. First, I ask them what they like, as in "Do you like light, dark, hoppy, wheat? What do you normally drink?" Once they've answered, I give them something I think they'll enjoy and 9 times out of 10 they will have very positive comments about the beer.

I have a friend who is mainly a Bud light drinker. He does venture off the beaten path though and has tried all of my beers. He actually has even called me and said, "I have a taste for one of your Ambers, have any on tap?" (Huh, just thought about it, I hope that isn't a backhanded compliment on my part about my Amber. Does it taste like BMC?) Oh well, anyways, I usually have the Amber on tap, then an IPA of varying recipes and then kind of a beer of the month type thing. Sometimes it's a porter, brown ale, basic pale ale, etc.

I had brewed a Black IPA that I was pretty high on. Really nice flavor of the darker malts, and it balanced nicely with the hops. I had another friend who had tried it and he also liked it. Well, when I gave it to the first friend, he said, "Hmm, this isn't my favorite." So, a very similar response to the OP.

I really didn't take it personally, I know from experience that his first choice is always Bud Light, then he'll drink beers similar to my Amber, little hoppy, little malty, but in general an easy drinking beer as opposed to anything too flavorful one side or another. And the guy really doesn't enjoy darker beers in general. So it really was no surprise.

If I didn't know this already, I probably would have asked him what his favorite beers are. That's usually a good clue to what's going on. In the end though, I brew beer that I like to drink. I have definitely brewed a stinker or two and a couple of not so great beers, but over all, I tend to brew beer that I really like to drink. That's what's important to me, that I enjoy them.

Sometimes I actually wish I brewed more beers my friends don't enjoy drinking. My supply gets hit pretty hard when they are over, so even if they aren't their favorites, they still tend to drink them. And I really don't think it's a "Free Beer" issue as we all tend to supply the beer for our own houses when people are over. And I always keep a 12 pack of bud light and miller lite in the fridge for those who really don't go outside their comfort zone. And I usually only have to buy those once or twice a year.

If ya send me one of your bottled beers, Ill give an honest opinion for ya.;)

When I am having someone sample a beer I never set expectations. I may explain the style or compare it to other commercial examples but I don't try to steer their mind beforehand about the greatness of what they are about to experience. Also, if someone isn't a beer enthusiast I more or less ignore their opinion. If they're expecting a light american lager they came to the wrong place most of the time.

I haven't met a person yet that doesn't drink the heck out of the generic 5% german lagers I make (proof it's yummy). However, an IPA, amber or something darker doesn't suit everyone and that's ok. You could give me the best meatloaf in the world and I likely will find it unpalatable because it's not something I have a taste for.

Back