So, what's the one brewing practice "leap" that you haven't made yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin79

Reaction score
Brewing is a continual learning process with a plethora of "leaps" you can make in your brewing habits to help achieve a better beer. From temp control, to yeast starters, to stepping up from extract to all grain, what haven't you done yet that you feel may be hindering your final product and why haven't you made that "leap" yet?

For me, it's learning about water chemistry. Every beer I have made is straight out of the tap faucet. I really have no idea about my water quality and have never bothered to look up or request local water reports. I'm pretty satisfied with the beer I'm making. I do however wish my efficiency was higher and suspect that my water may have something to do with that. What's really stopping me from learning about water chemistry is that I just really don't want to have to deal with it, lol. Plain old tap water makes things simple and enjoyable. I'm hesitant on having to buy filters or tablets and having to make calculations to know just how much of what to add to make my water ideal for brewing. I really feel it would make brewing for me feel like less of a hobby and more like "work".

Anyone else like to share their shortcomings?

My last batch is the first where I tried to control fermentation temperature. I used frozen water bottles and a big towel for the first three days. I know my ambient temps have been a little high and I'm sure the wort temps are even higher at least during the initial fermentation. I have an old mini fridge and I'm planning on building a chamber. I've been pleased with the beer so far but would like to see how much difference this will make.

I just did my first AG/BIAB batch last weekend and my efficiencies were way low. I'm trying again tomorrow to see if I can get those up. I'm still at the mercy of the LHBS grain mill, though I did have him double-mill this time. Controlling mash temp is a another new challenge that I have not yet mastered. After that I'm going to have to start looking at water pH, at a minimum.

My last batch is the first where I tried to control fermentation temperature. I used frozen water bottles and a big towel for the first three days. I know my ambient temps have been a little high and I'm sure the wort temps are even higher at least during the initial fermentation. I have an old mini fridge and I'm planning on building a chamber. I've been pleased with the beer so far but would like to see how much difference this will make.

It has made a big difference for me. I use one of these for keeping my temps in check.
http://morebeer.com/products/cool-brewing-insulated-fermentation-bag.html

I just throw some frozen water bottles in when I need to. Keeps my beer cool and dark. I live in a condo so its nice to save space and just fold the thing up when I dont have anything fermenting. (which isn't often anymore now that I think about it)

Mt process is pretty dialed in now, but I've yet to make a lager. I've got plans to make a bock soon, but have to brew a couple more ales I have planned first. I've already gotten temperature control and water chemistry down now. I've been using ro water with minimal mineral additions and checking the ph, which I believe had made a huge difference in my beers. No other process that I can think of off hand. Some of them seem downright arduous, like decocting.

Currently in the process of learning water chemistry. Starting with the "primer" sticky in the brew science folder and going from there. I have a batch that's just barely ready that's made with 100% distilled water with nothing added just as a reference point and its not tasting like much, but hopefully can help me in finding out what mineral does what.

And to whoever said they got bad efficiency on their AG/BIAB, a more rigorous and thorough stir on the batch sparge made all the difference for me and often got my numbers above estimated. Give it a shot

I started brewing in April of this year, and have already implemented the following:
  1. BIAB for all grain
  2. Chest freezer with STC-1000 (soon STC-1000+) for fermentation temp control
  3. Grain mill to get fine crush for BIAB efficiency
  4. Water chemistry control (luckily I'm blessed with near RO quality municipal water)
  5. Yeast starters
  6. Wort oxygenation with stone and pure O2
Big project in works for consistency and convenience is conversion to an electric, recirculating BIAB system with PID temperature control.

Also, just started assembling gear for kegging, but that is more for convenience than brew quality.

Brew on :mug:

I started brewing in April of this year, and have already implemented the following:
  1. BIAB for all grain
  2. Chest freezer with STC-1000 (soon STC-1000+) for fermentation temp control
  3. Grain mill to get fine crush for BIAB efficiency
  4. Water chemistry control (luckily I'm blessed with near RO quality municipal water)
  5. Yeast starters
  6. Wort oxygenation with stone and pure O2
Big project in works for consistency and convenience is conversion to an electric, recirculating BIAB system with PID temperature control.

Also, just started assembling gear for kegging, but that is more for convenience than brew quality.

Brew on :mug:

kegging is one of the best things i did for quality (and convienience)

Funny, I just spend $$$ to get some final upgrades to my system (mill, thermowell, HLT). The final frontier for me is water. I know that a local pro brewery that just won multiple GABF medals doesn't touch their water (I brew with the same), so I am lucky. But I would like to understand this topic better.

The 2nd area is all of the beer styles. I have brewed at least a dozen styles, but would like to master them all someday.

Kegging and temperature control are the leaps I haven't made yet. They take up space and they're expensive to get going, so I just brew with the seasons and bottle.

Mash temp control. Soon to add the TOP and have it dialed.

SS kettles lose a lot of mash temp I've found. It's tough to chase it without overshooting, and recently I learned why one should avoid a very hot mash. If anything, I now know to go cooler rather than too hot.

I'm in the process of building a 3 vessel HERMS. I'm putting $50 - $100 into it every couple months.

Water will probably be the last thing I look at. Even though my water is fairly hard, I've always had good results. But I also tend to stay away from brewing really light colored, light bodied beers.

I have a hop spider and grain mill on my build list. I may have found a better option than a hop spider though.

Kegging, I may get around to some day. It might be the only thing lower on my list of priorities than water.

Mash temp control. Soon to add the TOP and have it dialed.

SS kettles lose a lot of mash temp I've found. It's tough to chase it without overshooting, and recently I learned why one should avoid a very hot mash. If anything, I now know to go cooler rather than too hot.

Im in the same boat. I have a 3 vessel system of keggles and im dreaming of automation for mash temp control.

I feel like I've finally just gotten to the point where I can effortlessly maintain mash temps. In fact, my last couple batches I watched a movie during the mash, setting a timer to check temp and stir (I BIAB) every 20m. Previously, I used to have to put seemingly constant effort into maintaining temp.

Kegging is my next goal.

I feel like I've finally just gotten to the point where I can effortlessly maintain mash temps. In fact, my last couple batches I watched a movie during the mash, setting a timer to check temp and stir (I BIAB) every 20m. Previously, I used to have to put seemingly constant effort into maintaining temp.

Kegging is my next goal.

I do pretty much same thing only I check every 15 minutes. Netflix and brew day go hand in hand for me a lot of times.

Interesting that a few others have also mentioned water chemistry so far. I thought I was part of a marginal minority's of biab'ers and regular all grain brewers who haven't gotten it down yet.

Kegging is going to be my next leap, but it is for convenience more than quality. Though I do expect filtering to be an improvement.

I do more cider than beer, and I do cider from my apple trees (and perry from my pear trees starting later this month), but I still want to get to AG brewing someday.

A couple things for me. I'm already brewing AG, already brewed most styles including sours. Already quite adept in water treatment, mash stuff (everything from single infusions to decoction mashes, and just did my first turbid mash).

So what's left:

1. Ditching the aquarium air pump and moving to pure O2 for oxygenating my beers. I'll be doing this soon.
2. Upgrading fermentation control. I'd like a proper temp controlled fermentation chamber, but my apartment lacks the wiring capacity to do it (old old old place that'd never pass modern electrical code, multiple appliances on at once = blown fuse every time). So for me, it's swamp cooler temp control. Good for ales, workable for hybrids.
3. Because of #2, have yet to do a proper lager (outside of next weekend's Malt Liquor which I'll be fermenting more steam beer style).
4. Kegging, for the same reason as above.

Beyond that, I'd like to get into yeast ranching and hop growing. But once again, not physically possible where I live.

I'm an AG brewer with over 60 batches come and gone, but there are two "upgrades" I'm refusing to take on.

(1) Aeration Equipment - I do 3 gallon batches, which are so very easily aerated by pouring back and forth between 2 buckets several times. Some may argue that it will promote an possible infection from airborne wild yeasts, but I'm pretty certain that most aeration stones are rarely effectively sanitized prior to use. And the least scientific reasoning of all, "I do it all the time and my beer doesn't get infected, so it must be good." I always love reading that line in threads like this, brings a smirk to my face every time.

(2) Kegging Equipment - I'm cheap. No, I'm really, really cheap. I cannot make myself pay for kegs, lines, fittings, tank, fridge and the ongoing monthly fridge electrical and yearly gas refills. I know, I know, every person who ever bought a system will swear on a stack of Bibles that kegging is the greatest investment of their lives....and I acknowledge that it's probably true. But I still won't do it and that's that. And did I mention that I'm cheap?

But I will advocate for temp control, it is a rock solid way to make yeast produce the same flavor profile time after time. But I live in a cool northern climate, so I don't need a fridge to do so, just an electric temp controller and a brew belt. You climate may not be so kind.

I'm an AG brewer with over 60 batches come and gone, but there are two "upgrades" I'm refusing to take on.

(1) Aeration Equipment - I do 3 gallon batches, which are so very easily aerated by pouring back and forth between 2 buckets several times. Some may argue that it will promote an possible infection from airborne wild yeasts, but I'm pretty certain that most aeration stones are rarely effectively sanitized prior to use. And the least scientific reasoning of all, "I do it all the time and my beer doesn't get infected, so it must be good." I always love reading that line in threads like this, brings a smirk to my face every time.

(2) Kegging Equipment - I'm cheap. No, I'm really, really cheap. I cannot make myself pay for kegs, lines, fittings, tank, fridge and the ongoing monthly fridge electrical and yearly gas refills. I know, I know, every person who ever bought a system will swear on a stack of Bibles that kegging is the greatest investment of their lives....and I acknowledge that it's probably true. But I still won't do it and that's that. And did I mention that I'm cheap?

But I will advocate for temp control, it is a rock solid way to make yeast produce the same flavor profile time after time. But I live in a cool northern climate, so I don't need a fridge to do so, just an electric temp controller and a brew belt. You climate may not be so kind.
Well, I boil my stone for 10 minutes before and after use, so I'm pretty sure it's effectively sanitized.
And I'll swear on a stack of burning bibles that kegging is worth the investment. But if you like bottling and like the final product, then by all means, keep doing so. That's what makes this hobby great, we all do what we feel works best for our needs.

I don't have any major equipment or process upgrades anymore, but the one I refuse to do is getting a pH meter. Just the thought of maintaining one is daunting enough. I trust in the Bru'n water program and RO water and my beer turns out fantastically.

I am relatively young in my experience, so dialing in on procedure is a constant thing. Every brew/bottling day seems to have a small hurdle pop up. Thankfully my wife is an awesome wingman and can adapt to situations without getting (too) pizzed off. lol

The next big step would be getting into O2 aeration and proper starters.

I have brewed 8 batches so far.

My first two batches (brewed on the same day) were extract kits....temps somewhat controlled by water in spare bath tub....well water used.

Then I moved to the city.

The next two batches were all grain kits...used RO water from walmart and added a blend of what I think looks good enough on one of the water calculators for a basic profile....I really don;t understand it very well and wish I could get one on one instruction as I have tried to use brun water and can;t get through it.

Anyhow, those two went into my new fermentation chamber with black box controller.

The next brewday after that I bought a grain mill and stopped buying kits, I still steal tasty recipes,,,just buy the ingredients and grind.

I also made my first starter on that batch.

Oh, I also bought a pond pump to use with my immersion chiller to take temp down completely quicker.....a little ice water once the initial cool off is done works wonders.

I am brewing today,....still at that point, except I am trying my own twist on a recipe..well I will tomorrow, I decided to take to easy and only brew one batch today.

Next up...

Buying bulk grains...

Trying once again, to learn something about water chemistry.

Washing yeast.

For me the problem is my enthusiasm for new gear has gotten in the way of good brewing practice. I wish I had discovered How to Brew and the Brewing Network a long while ago.

Started with full boil extract, moved quickly to partial mash and then to all grain. Problem is I never stopped to get temperature control. I bought a keg before I bought a minifridge.

Luckily, everything is coming together. So, saving up I should be getting a new set of racking equipment, oxygenation equipment, and a temp controller for my dual minifridge/kegerator.

A pump....yup thats about all i need now and maybe make the jump to electric...Pump first though lugging heavy pots full of hot liquid is getting old after 4 years and almost a 100 brews.

Kegging and temperature control are the leaps I haven't made yet. They take up space and they're expensive to get going, so I just brew with the seasons and bottle.

Temp control is cheap with a water bath. mine cost 30 dollars and a hour of tme.:)

For me I have been brewing since this May and just done #11 I am still doing extract with special grains. I need to do all grain later and yeast starters and then the water. I see myself doing several more extracts as my beer keeps improving. My friends are doing all grain with a couple of more years experience and I feel their beer is not much better. There is a lot to learn if your Simple like me.:)

A kettle with electric coils and circuits to support it, not in the kitchen

Currently I do BIAB on the kitchen range with the assistance of a heatstick. There is not enough room to suspend the bag while it drains and too much steam in the kitchen.

Water is my final frontier. I use the Water Chemistry Primer to adjust my super soft water, but I'd like to be able to dial in mash pH, so I want to get a good pH meter and start using the brewing water spreadsheet, and get a good handle on water chemistry.

Kegging. And that's a leap I doubt I'll ever make. the leap I do plan to make though, is fermentation temp control via chest freezer and STC 1000. I hope to get that done before the end of the year.

Latest posts

Back