So what's a good all around IPA AG...recipe..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeepWoodBrew

Reaction score
Would like to brew my first AG IPA, this weekend...I typically brew...wheats..

Both my wife and I love...wheat beers..but would like to switch things up a bit with an IPA...any suggestions..

Cheers:mug:

You can't go wrong with a implement recipe like this one:

12# 2 Row
1# Carapils
1# Crystal 60

Mash at 150F in 1.25qt of water per pound of grain for 75 minutes

Sparge with water at 170F to collect 7 gallons of wort, boil 60 mins.

Use your favorite hops at 60, 15, 10 and 5 mins. Add some dry hops at week 2 of fermentation and let sit for another 2 weeks.

Use Wyeast 1056, White Labs001 or US-05

I like this hop schedule a lot:

1 oz Columbus @ 60
1 oz Simcoe @ 15
1 oz Centennial @ 10
1 oz Simcoe @ 5
Dry hop with 1 oz each Cascade and Centennial

Or a simple SMaSH:
10-12lbs 2-Row
3oz hops (Amarillo is my choice) @ 60, 20 & 5.
Dry hop with another oz if you want.

est OG 1.060 & FG 1.015

For my above recipe your OG should be around 1.060. With a good pitching rate and fermentation it should get down to 1.015 or so.

Yoopers DFH 60 minute clone is amazing!!! Have made it several times over the past few months. Getting your hands on some Simcoe and Pacman yeast may be the only issue.

Thank you for all the great suggestions and advice...now I need to decide which recipe...Might just have to brew them all.......They all sound great!!

Cheers....

Would like to brew my first AG IPA, this weekend...I typically brew...wheats..

Both my wife and I love...wheat beers..but would like to switch things up a bit with an IPA...any suggestions..

Cheers:mug:

I'd consider a Lagunitas IPA (clone) since you prefer wheat beers. I know the point is to try something different, but a really dry IPA with lots of bitterness might not suit your palate. The Lagunitas is a little maltier and sweeter with lot's of hop aroma to balance it out. The bitterness is really smooth and easy to drink. That's my 2 cents.

Shock top just released a new one this month. I think it's a wheat ipa. Haven't tried it yet, but personaly I would like to try something close before I brew to make sure I like it.

I know a lot of people talk about dogfish head clones and they sound great. Was on my brew list as I can't get them in Kansas. A friend gave me some 90min and I did not like it. Not my style. To malty, I like dry.

Latest posts

Back