So this is what happened...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuehnau

Reaction score
Hey guys, been awhile, almost a year from what I can guess, I came on here after a friend gave me two Mr. Beer kits he no longer used. I wanted to let you guys know what was going on.

For each Mr. Beer kit keg, I made a different batch, one one Lemonade and the other was Cherry Raspberry. I know, not really beer, but I don't drink that much beer.

When I got the Mr. Beer kits, they were dirty and stank, so I soaked them in Oxyclean, then rinsed the insides out with just a little bleach, not a whole lot, then rinsed them out with cold water as well as I possibly could.

As for the actual brewing, I picked up a real easy recipe I picked up online, and just copied it, just using different flavors. It was basically activate the yeast, fill the Mr. Beer kegs up to the first line with cold water, boil 6 cups of sugar in 2 liters of water, add that to the keg, pour in the frozen juice then add the yeast.

I used 100% "real" frozen juice, not from concentrates and I used champagne yeast I found online. I just let the Mr. Beer kegs ferment until it stopped bubbling, bottled it up and then let it sit for another week before tossing it in the fridge.

I did make an attempt to prime the bottles, some turned out great, some were too much and some were flat as hell. Having a fizzy drink was just gravy after that point.

So.. How did it turn out? I was surprised actually.

The Hard Lemonade turned out, like, really good, it tasted really, really good. I actually didn't bother to measure or test the levels or anything, I did this all kind of blind, but I can tell you it was strong enough to get people just crazy wasted, I gave a few bottles of it to a friend, who said he kept it in his freezer for 2 months and it never froze.

The Cherry Raspberry turned out stronger then the Hard Lemonade, but it was a lot more bitter then the lemonade.

So after that worked out really well, I tried another juice, which was Pineapple-Apple. And I have to say, that one turned out awful. I did exactly the same thing, but let it sit longer and when I finally tested it, it tasted like rubbing alcohol. I dumped the entire keg out.

I've been moving and stuff a lot lately, but I actually plan on trying to brew up some more batches of something this weekend. One of them I am just going to do like I did last time, the other one I am going to try something different like honey or brown sugar instead of the cane stuff. All of my local stores didn't carry any corn sugar so I was out of luck with that.

Does anyone have any suggestions on juices or flavors I can try?

Check out the wine recipe section of this site. Look for the welches grape wine thread. That'll give you a good base for concentrate wines to follow. I find that the white grape raspberry flavor and white grape peach flavors turn out best.

Latest posts

Back