So there goes my first attempt at a recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EarlyBirdBrew

Reaction score
So my first attempt at creating my own recipe went horribly awry. I had planned on doing a mild that looked like this:

3lbs Pale LME
1LB Marris Otter
12oz Crystal 60-L
4oz Pale Chocolate Malt
4oz Cara-Pils
4oz Coffee Malt
4oz Biscuit Malt

Mini Mash this and put in .75oz Kent Goldings hops at the start of the boil.

After getting home from the LHBS I realized they had combined my grain bill for me..so I ended up a with 1lb of each of my grains mixed together. Since it was getting late and I didn't have time to get back to the store I decided to just scale down and make what I had. Since everything was mixed together giving me 6lbs of grain I used 4.5 for the mash and went ahead with the full 3lbs of extract. After putting 12oz of each into beer calculator I was supposed to have a target gravity of 1.043 which is a little high for a mild.

What am I gonna end up with and is the coffee or chocolate going to dominate this beer?

At the fear of sounding redundant, let me say RDWHAHB.

Plugging in the other six malts, assuming equal volumes of each, it looks like you'll have a very dark, though probably still pretty good beer (I got 33 SRM). Call it Porter Gone Mild or something.

I like that: Porter Gone Mild...I had a few homebrews while brewing. Just thought I would see if anyone else has had to go this route and throw it all in and go for it. The Wort was quite a bit darker than what I was shooting for but from the sample I think it might come out pretty good.

Austin Homebrew sales the coffee malt. That was added on a whim to the recipe to boost the flavor.

Back