So I think I fried my microwave...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowden

Reaction score
Anyone else run into problems with steam from the kettle messing up the circuitry in a stove top microwave?

SWMBO is less than pleased!

Anyone else run into problems with steam from the kettle messing up the circuitry in a stove top microwave?

SWMBO is less than pleased!

Do you not have a range fan in the microwave?

I can't imagine a microwave designed to be over a stove wouldn't also be designed to handle steam. That's what happens on a stovetop. Steam.

Blame the microwave design = off the hook with SWMBO.

You have to have oil to fry a microwave. Not reccommended. They aren't very tastey.

Water and electrics don't play nice. You steamed your microwave which steamed your wife. They don't play nice either, when steamed.

Grandma always used butter when she got burned by steam. Maybe you should butter up the wife to make the hurt go away.

Make sure the heater is not on. Because if the butter gets her wet, it'll just turn to steam. And you might get burned this time.

Do you not have a range fan in the microwave?

I can't imagine a microwave designed to be over a stove wouldn't also be designed to handle steam. That's what happens on a stovetop. Steam.

Blame the microwave design = off the hook with SWMBO.

Clearly, you're not married, because if you were, you'd know that even a well-rationalized explanation will not get one "off the hook" when it comes to SWMBO.

Sounds like Opportunity calling: should be plenty of reason for the CFO to rubber stamp a new brew rig to be run outdoors...

Cheers!

Yes, been there done that. The steam gets up in the control panel and fries the innards even with the fan running. My first brew on the stove was my last. Wifey made me buy a bayou burner (she really twisted my arm there ;-) ). However, the replacement control panel for the microwave was ~$140 so that hurt.

I've fixed a non-responding microwave panel twice in the past two years by re-seating the ribbon cable. YouTube video wad followed and worked. 5 min fix. Will try to remember to post link in AM.

I've fixed a non-responding microwave panel twice in the past two years by re-seating the ribbon cable. YouTube video wad followed and worked. 5 min fix. Will try to remember to post link in AM.

If you go this route be careful where your fingers go. There is enough high voltage and current to burn a hole in you thumb. You'll also probably end up with some scrapes on the back of your hand from when you jerk your hand out of there.:mad:

If you go this route be careful where your fingers go. There is enough high voltage and current to burn a hole in you thumb. You'll also probably end up with some scrapes on the back of your hand from when you jerk your hand out of there.:mad:

Sounds like somebody found a capacitor and didn't discharge it appropriately....

And yes, most commercial boards are not designed with yanking meat products across them quickly in mind.

:ban:

I dont brew on the stove top, but was cooking pasta and tried to use the microwave at the same time. One nice pop and im needing a new microwave. Capacitor I reckon.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back