So I ordered a 62 Qt stockpot for 10 gallon batches...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BW210

Reaction score
I ordered a 62 Qt stainless stock pot so I could do 10 gallon batches. I plan on doing a full boil with 12 gallons, plan on losing 1 gallon to evaporation which should leave 5.5 gallons for two carboys to ferment and rack 5 gallons each.

So I have a few questions...

1 - I assume I just have to double the ingredients of 5 gallon batches?

2 - I do full extract and partial grain brews. When using grain, can I steep in full batch or do I still need to steep in say three gallons and top off to desired amount?

and

3 - Will I have to change the hop schedule?

Thanks in advance.

In case anyone else is looking, here is the best deal I could find for a new 62 Qt stock pot for $118 shipped. I may put in a spout and temp gauge if I don't end up using for canning.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VXD94A/ref=s9_simh_gw_p86_d1_g86_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=15B40DJB6S8F38HACPSN&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Last edited by a moderator:
1.That’s about what I do, though I use BeerTools Pro to help adjust.
2.I’ve seen the steeping done in full batch; put the grains in cold water and raise the temp, over an hour, to 170 and take them out. Check out youtube basic brewing. That said, Palmer states “For best results, the ratio of steeping water to grain should be less than one gallon per pound”, How to Brew, Palmer, Steeping Specialty Grains, pg. 135. Also check out this
3.Hop schedule starts at boil so no. But you will need to increase your amount to reflect your batch size.

Back