So, I forgot....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idlehanz

Reaction score
to "smack" my smack pack of yeast until I had the wort chiller going. Is it going to be ok to get the wort down to about 90 F or so, then let it sit with the lid on for a few hours while the yeast get's going?

I take great care in my sanitation. I just don't like leaving it sitting there for a few hours. What is the lowest tempurature I could pitch the yeast at? I know I want it under 80 F, but I've never seen a bottom end temp. Wondering if I should keep it on the stove on low for a bit?

If you had made a starter you would have already confirmed that the yeast was alive and viable. But also something to remember about smack packs, it doesn't matter if they inflate or not.From the horse's mouth.
From the Wyeast FAQ website:

3. Does the package need to be fully swollen before pitching?

No, The package can be pitched before activating, or at anytime during the activation process. The activation process "jump starts" the culture's metabolism, minimizing the lag phase.

Good to know. I have one other question. I meant to buy two of the Wyeast 1084 packs for my Stout that is running about 8.7 %, but I only got one. Can I get away with using only one pack of yeast with this ABV? I have a Wyeast 1056 that I could pitch as well, but I'm not sure how that will affect the flavor....

Good to know. I have one other question. I meant to buy two of the Wyeast 1084 packs for my Stout that is running about 8.7 %, but I only got one. Can I get away with using only one pack of yeast with this ABV? I have a Wyeast 1056 that I could pitch as well, but I'm not sure how that will affect the flavor....

Well that's why you should always make a starter, and for sure for any beermover 1.020 according to mr Malty pitch rate calculator. You would reproduce enough cells then to do the job.

My philosphy is simple, if I'm going to spend the big bucks on liquid yeast I am going to show it the respect it deserves, and I'm going to make sure right off the bat it has the best chance of succeeding.

I've pitched packs without starters on beers over 1.070 and they came out fine. I really should have done a starter and as I get the house more organized for brewing I will be, but with proper aeration you can pitch right from the smack pack with few problems and not much lag time. Better to do the starter like Revvy says though.

Well, this is only the 6th batch I've ever done. Still quite new to this. I have no idea how to make a starter. I'll look into it though. I guess for right now, I just need to know if I should use just the 1084, or both the 1084 and the 1056. I have no idea if using two different yeasts will produce off flavors or not. I know 1056 is pretty nuetral, but I'm still not sure I should do it.

Aerate well and pitch the one pack of yeast. You'll be alright. Not making a starter won't ruin your beer at all. Making one gives you yeast the best chance at making good beer, so it's a good idea.

Back